Thread: How does one create his own generator.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thank you then, I am considering two possible ways to get my font, like you said by emailing it to somebody who can turn it into a font for me, or I could try it myself with Inkscape. (now what I did was I made a nice considerably big picture of each letter using a marker, and then I scanned each and put them into Gimp, then I played with the contrast to get a picture in a perfect black and white, then I added alpha to the white to get rid of it and now I have a .psd of each letter with alpha channel, I guess at this point I can import these into Inkscape and see what I could do with it.)

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsnout View Post
    Thank you then, I am considering two possible ways to get my font, like you said by emailing it to somebody who can turn it into a font for me, or I could try it myself with Inkscape. (now what I did was I made a nice considerably big picture of each letter using a marker, and then I scanned each and put them into Gimp, then I played with the contrast to get a picture in a perfect black and white, then I added alpha to the white to get rid of it and now I have a .psd of each letter with alpha channel, I guess at this point I can import these into Inkscape and see what I could do with it.)
    Font design is horrifically time consuming. It must be the graphic designer's equivalent of doing a large city. There are some fee front making programmes out there (Font forge? I think is one), the pro ones are expensive. There are places on the internet which will 'make' the fontset for you. You print out a form which has boxes where you put your letters and symbols, scan it and send it to them and for a fee they will send you back a font. Not sure how good they are though. I tried making my own font a while back, but when I saw how much work was involved to do it properly (hinting - ie making sure the letters are properly anti-aliased at different scales / kerning etc) let alone drawing each letter and doing all the numbers and symbols. It was too much and I gave up. I think I got to 'm' in uppercase. Good luck though!