Is there a way to draw it distorted and then have G.Projector straighten it back out for me for regional sections?
In a sense, yes, Kacey, G.projector can, sort of.
You can make it distorted on your equirectangular map so that it looks right on the globe.
Then in G.projector you can play with the various projections to get something that is 'closer to flat' and then do your new drawing based on that.
I've done that before. You can also create an equirectangular map and apply it to a sphere in Photoshop via the 3d tools.
I've used that to good effect to tweak my north/south polar regions to be a bit more interesting.
There are options, but you really do have to tweak it based on its real look on the globe, i think.

Oh, and the newest versions of G.projector handles much larger files and output up to 20,000 pixels last i checked [much larger than previous].

One thing I would say that I sometimes forget in my own planet creating....
It is helpful to work out at least some of the tectonic plates and where they collide to create mountains.
Then get some of those rough mountain range lines in so you can plan large water features and also changes in elevation that can lead to islands and such.
I've gotten better about this over time, but it used to bite me in the butt all the time.