Thread: Zooming map (Tvotnr world)

Map Zooming map (Tvotnr world)

Hello all!

I wanted to make a GoogleMaps style zooming map, so I did. Due credit to OpenLayers for doing all the hard coding. If you find your way to my home site, you'll notice that there's nothing else on it right now. That's because there's nothing else on it yet.

It feels wrong to post without an image, so here's the fully zoomed-out view, but you'll need to click through to get actual functionality.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	215.9 KB 
ID:	93754

I'm super pleased with this as proof of concept, though to me it sort of begs for infinite updating. I want to up to final zoom resolution, either through better images or switching to vector-based source; I want to add more details that show up on zoom; I want to make borders vector-based. I'm sort of looking to this as a repository for addition of detail and regional maps down the line.

That is super neat! It definitely has a google maps feel to it.
    I'd love to see more details on it.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Really cool job Ace! I've always wondered about doing a zooming map, but it never even got any further than a fleeting thought, so it's great to see you coming up with this!

Hope to see it fleshed out even more if you can too!

...Then it's onto Google Streetview!

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    That is super neat! It definitely has a google maps feel to it.
    I'd love to see more details on it.
    Thank you! I'd definitely love to add more details to it!

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Really cool job Ace! I've always wondered about doing a zooming map, but it never even got any further than a fleeting thought, so it's great to see you coming up with this!

Hope to see it fleshed out even more if you can too!

...Then it's onto Google Streetview!
    Thank you! It was a passing thought for me a few times, and it kept coming back until I finally went through with it. Worth it!

...and see, I know Streetview would be absolutely absurd, but part of me thinks what if just for select areas and I have to remind myself to clean up the closer zooms first.