Thread: Terraformed Mars WIP

Default Terraformed Mars WIP

Originally posted this in the Sci Fi forum, but I think this one might be a better fit given that it's an overland map. Mods, feel free to delete my other thread.

Working on a solar system based RPG setting. Here's my Mars WIP. I haven't done much with borders in the past, and seeing some of the other maps here I feel like nice borders really pull everything together and give the map a finished look. Labels are up next. Definitely willing to revisit stuff that's done if anyone has suggestions!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mars map draft.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	8.53 MB 
ID:	103163

Started with a base map by Fenn o manic. Used some of Finner's India brushes and some brushes by withwhipcream from Deviantart.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mars map draft.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	6.97 MB 
ID:	103162  
    Last edited by steelmccoy; 01-08-2018 at 11:25 PM.

Looks very nice! Especially the borders are very beautiful (good choice of colours, too). One thing I was a bit confused about is the land/sea colouring. I actually had to check out a topographic map to find out which is which! Although maybe I'm too used to seeing land coloured in tan so I kind of see the darker portions as the land and the light tan as water. Maybe a bluish tint or some waves in the sea would make it a bit more obvious?
    Last edited by Charerg; 01-09-2018 at 04:18 AM.

Thanks! I'm with you on the land/sea difference. I think it might be more clear when I have labels (and maybe terrain - I just haven't found a mountain style I really love and can pull off yet). That said, I did think about flipping the colors so the darker part was land or adding a blue-tint, at least along the coast lines. I wasn't sure how blue would play in with the other colors, but it's definitely worth a shot! I'll try that next. Working on the "map" part of the map is next up. Kinda doing things backwards

I decided to go with simple iconography even for the terrain - there are really just a few peaks and the rest is relatively even, so I thought drawing/rendering a mountain range there might look unbalanced. Two versions of the ocean. I'm leaning toward the solid fill rather than the outline:

Name:	mars draft 2a.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	9.04 MB 
ID:	103206

Name:	mars draft 2b.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	8.68 MB 
ID:	103207

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like the second version better; I feel like those colors complement your borders better than all that solid blue.

The solid fill reads much more clearly as water. As for overall aesthetics... I think it is hard to make a judgment there until the land is finished.

Pretty minor update. I adjusted the name plate to fit better and started labeling. Went with the blue outline for now, still not 100% decided.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	mars draft 3.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	8.69 MB 
ID:	103275

Continuing to tinker. I added actual terrain via satellite image. I think I like it, but it makes the labels harder to read. Maybe just need to scale up the smaller text, but could go for a re-design...

Name:	mars draft 4.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	7.22 MB 
ID:	103418

Interesting. I like the "rusted feel" you got on this last one. I also like the multi labels you use.