Thread: 21 - Monastery of Realisminites and its vicinities [Pixie]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

They look proper good, Pixie

I'm very impressed. the jury on the paler shading is still out with me. I'm going to be adding weathering stains to some of my own buildings in GIMP once I've done most of the map in CC3, so mine will probably have quite a lot of white on them as well. Tiles fade, and they also get stained all kinds of colours where the rain washes metal oxides from flashing around chimneys and such. And then there are the bright orange lichens that grown on most of the rooftops (around where I live anyway). Maybe if anything make it a bit less noticeable compared to the light and shade of the buildings, but otherwise a very impressive first try

I hadn't thought of the style all that much. I suppose once John showed us that particularly attractive drawing with all those lovely dormer windows and gable ends I fell subconsciously into the trend of attempting to emulate his style with my own version of it, but there are also huge numbers of domes and other things appearing that you just don't see a lot of in a northern European city.

I don't think we are in danger of being overly mono-cultural about our architecture - even if we were all trying to deliberately stick to a set style no two maps would look the same anyway. And just so you know - I'm going to throw in quite a lot of flat roofs and untidy shacks once I get to the poorer end of town, where the people can't afford the lavish extravagance of mighty timbers and millions of expensive tiles

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I don't think we are in danger of being overly mono-cultural about our architecture - even if we were all trying to deliberately stick to a set style no two maps would look the same anyway. )
    It's not being monocultural that worries me... It's that I end up drawing buildings that are inadequate for the climate.. As a realisminite, you know, that's the kind of stuff that keeps me from sleeping in peace