Thread: Kingdom of Fesselmark (WIP, Warlock RPG)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1. Software?

2. The whole mountain area seems too "square" to me, shouldn't be more rounded (maybe in the N-E corner)?

3. Since you want to accentuate the travel elements, you should tone down the land colors; maybe using a cold color temperature, or desaturate everything but the water and roads.

4. I don't speak polish, so i use a translator: wzgórza = hills. According to the scale, the height is beyond 1200 m. On a fantasy map the difference between hills and mountains should be more clear, because... fantasy (probably that's why I prefer more "traditional" maps). Or is something that I don't understand correctly?

Sorry if I misunderstood the map. I don't want to sound too critical, I really like your work.

Guild Journeyer Impractical Cartographer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
    Software?
    Inkscape

The whole mountain area seems too "square" to me, shouldn't be more rounded (maybe in the N-E corner)?
    It's a matter of perception.

Since you want to accentuate the travel elements, you should tone down the land colors; maybe using a cold color temperature, or desaturate everything but the water and roads.
    Landform is also important. Hypsometric colors are based on directives from the Polish Central Office of Geodesy and Cartography. Of course, the road map should be devoid of topography for better readability. However, this is a general geographic map. I'll just point out again that this is the map I'll use as a template for drawing further maps (road maps, political maps, fantasy style, etc.).

I don't speak polish, so i use a translator: wzgórza = hills. According to the scale, the height is beyond 1200 m. On a fantasy map the difference between hills and mountains should be more clear, because... fantasy (probably that's why I prefer more "traditional" maps). Or is something that I don't understand correctly?
    Geographic nomenclature does not always go hand in hand with place names. If you take a good look at our earth maps, you will find hills called "mountains", mountains called "hills", rivers called "streams", canions called "gully", ect.

Impractical Cartographer, thank you for the explanation!
    About perception: yes, that's a funny thing, I don't think that a mountain has the same meaning in Nepal and Netherlands.