Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shandar: Lands of the Exhalted

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default Shandar: Lands of the Exhalted

Well, after close to 4 years, I finally finished this one. WIP thread is here for those that are interested.

Credits:

Mountain Style Inspiration: Ascension https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=10192
    Fonts: Windlass and Vijaya (mostly)
    Name Inspiration: India, Tibet, SE Asia; Donjon's fabulous name generators for when I ran out of steam: http://donjon.bin.sh/name/#ancient_world
    Encouragement: You guys!

This is a setting that draws heavily from the history and myths of India, Tibet, and SE Asia. It's fairly magic-rich and is a late-medieval/early-age of exploration place, with early gunpowder weapons coexisting with ninjas, monks, spider-worshipers, thugge-type cults, riverboats, kenku, magic-powered hang-gliders, tabaxi, hellborn & heavenborn (tieflings & aasimar), ogre magi, swamp hags, the Suneater (an HP Lovecraft-type Elder God), and lots more.

I've started a World Anvil page for this setting (google it; it's an AWESOME world-building tool), and once I get enough written up to make it worth looking at, I'll make it public so y'all can check it out. As I get more comfortable playing 5E Dungeons & Dragons, my DM itch is really starting to build, so eventually I'd like to make Shandar a setting not only for my own future players, but maybe as a published setting. Who knows?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Heyyy, look who's back to posting maps!

I remember eyeing the WIP of this way back when, and liking it then too! It's got all the good D vibes, with the awesome coastlines and excellent layout in addition to the map itself. The rune rings accompanying the rhumblines are a nice touch. On the mountains, I maybe would have gone a bit easier on the Softening on the Bevel, but it's not really a major issue.

Shame we don't hang out IRL, I bet I'd love to RP with you sitting in the DM's chair! You've proven again and again to being an excellent worldbuilder, and I bet your games benefit from this.

Nice to see you back at it, man! I've missed seeing your work.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Good to see you back in the mapping swing of things, Diamond, and fantastic work you have here. That sounds like a really cool land you've got there - the Indian/SE Asian setting isn't seen that much, so this has quite a fresh feeling to it.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Always good to see a Diamond map! And i like that you finish some of the maps you started because most often, i really liked those WIPs back then

And thanks for the backstory, you knew i would have asked for it, right ^^ And i really hope you'll fill that World Anvil page and share it with us. I'd love to see it (I'm sure that is no surprise to you). I always wanted to see a worldbuilding thread by you, D!
    Glad to hear that you enjoy your RPG, btw. And i am sure those players will be lucky bastards...I'd love to see you as a DM. All the best!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

That is a gorgeous map (which does not come as a surprise) and it's good to have you back (and to see you haven't been idle ). There's a sandy atmosphere coming from it that I especially like.

Outstanding map Diamond. love everything about it. Crests are great addition.
    The only nitpick i have is that i would use different icon for the Capital. The underline text is rather hard to spot at first.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Splendid! As usual with your maps, it's an excellent mix of realism & fantasy : we are just picturing the world when looking at it .
    And the colors are really specials.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Thanks, everyone. Your kind words fill my heart with song.

And if you're ever in the Bay Area, look me up. I'll run a special one-shot adventure or something.

Wonderful to see you mapping again!

And you start with a bang - a gorgeous map

Nice to see your maps again in this section, Diamond. And you may produce something outstanding with this World Anvil online world building tool, hope to see what you come with, one day.
    Cheers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast