Thread: Heatmaps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nameh View Post
    Can you please post some guidelines on how to set the programmes and how to draw such lines? I have not worked with GeoServer/Tools and I am not familiar with uDig either... unless it is very complicated and time consuming for you.
    If you're thinking of this as a graphics tool for "drawing lines" then this is not remotely the software for you. It's a spatial analysis tool which takes raw data like GPS traces and figures out how densely packed they are. Azelor's suggestion of using graphics software may be better. In essensce what the heatmap algorithm does is to draw shapes additively and then blur everything, then it's run through a colour map and optionally the contrast is stretched first. You can do much of that in graphics software. The benefit of this is that mostly that graphics software doesn't usually support high precision floating point channels or purely additive operations and doesn't support rasterizing GIS data, which it sounds like you don't have anyway. Also this is integrated with a full on GIS toolset.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    If you're thinking of this as ...
    I was thinking about making a similar map of data gathered from my bike trips which were tracked by GPS. But if you say it is complicated I will believe you and will try making it with some other tools. Thank you anyway.