Thread: Rheia: one final try at ground-up worldbuilding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Your map looks great, I love it, the mountains, the coasts, the colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    I think it looks absolutely good, the good thing of the approach you took is that by starting with a pregeological position and analying the evolution of continent shapes and positions you could also create , if you have ofc will and time, the intermediate or previous map of the world to identify more precisely the source of possible future ores, the resources like coal , gold, oil and so on ...
    I usually do not make that in my approach but I am planning to study a sysem too for getting that interesting feature work as part of a workflow.
    Btw for drawing the orography of the continents what approach you did use?
    Thanks Naima! Much appreciated. By orography did you mean figuring out drainage channels and the like? For the most part that was using Earth as a model, and using my general knowledge of which climates tend to go where to guess which areas would have higher precipitation and thus more rivers, estuaries, etc. But I may well change things a little bit and add/remove some rivers once I've finished with climates.

Quote Originally Posted by dirt View Post
    Your map looks great, I love it, the mountains, the coasts, the colors.
    Thanks dirt!

Adding another update now, as I've gone through and fixed some things that were bugging me with the topography and overall geography. Also took a stab at some (very) rough bathymetry, which was fun but I don't think I have the patience to fully go for realistic ocean floor topography, at least not at this point. Drawing realistic mid-ocean ridges plus about two thousand seamounts doesn't seem like the best use of my time... Anyway, I'm thrilled to have gotten this far, and it's really starting to look like a real world when I convert it to a globe.

As always, C&C is welcome, particularly for areas that seem geologicallly dubious! Think this is more than enough for me to start working through climates, but I expect I'll continue to do some minor edits to topography as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rheia.png 
Views:	230 
Size:	7.08 MB 
ID:	134728

By orography I mean the general mountains shape, generation distribution and overall how the heightmap is done.

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

This is a really cool project that you're working on. I'm trying to worldbuild myself but learning G-Plates and all. So, I have a question. I How did you figure out how to age the mountains and orogenies? How did you move the rifts? Also, when do you plan to do the climates? Is this your final worldbuilding project? It would be really helpful to know. Thanks, and good luck with your project.