Thread: Gigantica -- A Study in Maximum Habitable Planet Size

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Hello Guild,

Thanks for the feedback, Naima.

Because I'm personally not satisfied with the results of my Wilbur approach, I've decided to use morne's method of juxtaposing actual DEM data to create a more realistic topographic map. It may take longer, but I'm aiming a bit higher this time around.

But first, I've run into some problems. Calculating my climates using worldbuilding pasta's script, I've discovered that much of my world will be covered in cold icecap climates and thus remain uninhabitable. Here are two maps comparing my initial parms to Earthlike parms. I'm definitely in favour of the Earthlike parms, but a 24 hour day is much too long to generate an adequate magnetic field for atmospheric protection.

Initial Parms:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Actual Parms.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	133714

Earth Parms:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Earth Parms.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	133715

Is there anything I can personally do to the parameters to make more surface area of my planet livable? Must I speed up the rotation or increase atmospheric density? I didn't want to increase the insolation as I already have average temperatures of 40 C in some regions. What other parameters could I change to ensure a more congenial spread of climates?

Thank you for any suggestions!

Peter
    Last edited by Peter Toth; 06-15-2022 at 03:38 AM.