Thread: Current Inkscape vs. Illustrator CS2?

Question Current Inkscape vs. Illustrator CS2?

How good is the current Inkscape compared to the old Adobe Illustrator CS2? Is it as good or better?

Might depend on what you want to use it for.

I just found out about Inkscape. I downloaded it and played around a little.

It seems like Illustrator is going to be better for text and for raster images. From what I can tell, Inkscape is really limited with what it can do to text. Editing paths by nodes is nice and simple in Inkscape, but probably more powerful in Illustrator.

Illustrator has a bigger interface -- more stuff to learn, but eventually easier to run. I like the way the pencil works in Illustrator better. A really complicated illustration will be easier to manage in Illustrator (because of the functionality in the Layers palate).

Illustrator comes with a lot of libraries of styles, brushes, patterns, etc. (CS4 has 25mb of brushes).

Thanks Bob, I'm glad to finally get some input here. It's helpful. It sounds like Illustrator isn't yet 100% replaceable with Inkscape. The simplicity of node editing in Inkscape that you mentioned interests me though. I'll give it another look.