Thread: Making maps with Gaea

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

That is starting to get much better. Good work. The scaling of Gaea seemed very specific when I tried it out, so overcoming that like you have is a serious achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    That is starting to get much better. Good work. The scaling of Gaea seemed very specific when I tried it out, so overcoming that like you have is a serious achievement.
    Thanks!

I thought that originally about the scaling, but it is actually not true at all. Gaea is fully procedural, and as such is infinitely scaleable, with resolution being the main constraint. The trick is that you have to change the scale settings on many of the nodes, especially on the erosion nodes, as well as the overall terrain scale. I'm still refining my process, but I have realized Gaea is equally capable for large scale maps as any other heightmap program out there, and I think will be even easier in future versions given that the team seems to be receptive to the growing cartography community using Gaea.

Edit: In addition to modifying scale and precipitation in the Erosion nodes, another trick that helps when it comes to texturing (and this applies to any scale terrain, but especially large scale) is to you autolevel on whatever masks you use (e.g. protrusion, slope, height) to make some of the colors and textures pop more.

Here's another more region style, but still large scale, experiment I did as a test while I was working on the continent. The test was of a new mountain technique which was kind of a fail, but I like the landmass shape a lot (lower resolution since I didn't want to wait 30 minutes to render something that was a simple test):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-28 191559.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	547.8 KB 
ID:	133812Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-28 191617.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	384.6 KB 
ID:	133813
    Last edited by Turambar; 06-28-2022 at 07:24 PM.