Thread: Hello all

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Apprentice

Thanx Bryan. I will try that when I resume the tutorial after dinner tonight.

So, just to clarify, if I have a river on my map that I envision as a quarter mile across I want to set the width of the line at 0.25?
    Last edited by eleran; 01-29-2008 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eleran View Post

So, just to clarify, if I have a river on my map that I envision as a quarter mile across I want to set the width of the line at 0.25?
    That's correct. Note also that since the river will become a polygon, you will also be able to edit the nodes in order to make it wider or narrower in places.

Disclaimer: I'm not terribly experienced with CC3, having just started with it recently, but I remember the problems I had starting out. If ever jaerdaph or NeonKnight contradicts me, they're almost certainly correct.

Which is to say: Yeah, Attach is probably what you want to toggle.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    That's correct. Note also that since the river will become a polygon, you will also be able to edit the nodes in order to make it wider or narrower in places.

Disclaimer: I'm not terribly experienced with CC3, having just started with it recently, but I remember the problems I had starting out. If ever jaerdaph or NeonKnight contradicts me, they're almost certainly correct.

Which is to say: Yeah, Attach is probably what you want to toggle.
    Close, if you make the line wider, narrower, it is still a line. I am sure there is a correlation to the WIDTH of the line in relation to the scale, but not exactly sure. I'd have to research it tonight.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by eleran View Post

Hi eleran!

Glad to see you're enjoying CC3. Your map is looking very good.

I thought I'd mention a few things about scale in CC3 overland maps. First, standard fantasy overland map templates in CC3 don't have any set units. A distance of 1,000 can be 1,000 miles, 1,000 kilometers, 1,000 Klingon kelicams or what ever you desire. Compare this to the dungeon or city map templates that can have units of feet or meters.

Also, the fantasy style maps like the one you are making are not exactly proportional (I think that's the word I want?). A tree symbol with a size of 1.0 is not a 1 mile tall/wide tree - it just looks good on the map at that sizing. So while yes, if you are assuming that a unit of 1.0 in your map is equal to 1 mile, than 0.25 would be a quarter of a mile. But don't worry about being exact, because all the mountain, city, forest etc. symbols you are using are way out of proportion to reality - again, they just "look good" scaled at that size. So use whatever line widths you think "look good" on your map for rivers as well.

CC3 is still a CAD-based program so you can get exact, precision distances if you want them. If you were making a modern style topographic overland map, for example, with contour lines and all that, you would want to exactly map your river width.

I hope this is helpful and makes sense. Glad to have another CC3 user here.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Guild Apprentice

Wip

OK, I used Neonknight's advice and changed the effects around and it does look much better. Still not happy with the rivers, but I will keep playing around with it. Will be starting my campaign map today. I am going to starta WIP thread for it.

For some reason it wont attach itself this time. grrrrr
    Last edited by eleran; 02-02-2008 at 10:15 AM.