Thread: Guildworld - General discussion [place names and other assorted topics]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Goombac and I have considered calling the water to the west of us - "Ocean A" on those views - something like Haiyang Sea. Haiyang is 'ocean' in Chinese (loose basis for his Wuqiang), so that's either the Ocean named Sea or the Sea named Ocean. In that same vein I'd like to call the inlet between Ondeet and Wuqiang 'the Bay of Man', since 'man' approximately phonetically is 'bay' in Korean, which my folks in Ondeet use/mangle/approximate. It suits my humor to have a Bay Bay, yet for it to sound like a 'normal' name. Ondeet has men and dwarves both, so maybe we would call the bay/sea between us and Romeinoneday 'Nansingi Bay' (roughly phonetically 'Dwarf Bay' ). That body of water looks like a sea on the equirectangular world map, but that polar view shows it's pretty narrow.

Cool - If Romeinoneday's northern cape is either stuck to icepack or even just beset by constant sea ice, that makes the strait between his island and mainland a really important sea connector route. All KINDS of potential there for storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    It suits my humor to have a Bay Bay, yet for it to sound like a 'normal' name.
    I laughed at that. Bay Bay