Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making Photo-realistic Trees in GIMP: A Mini-Tut

Gaussian is one of the types of Noise filters in PS. The actual filter name is Noise, not Gaussian, if that helps any.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

This was an amazing mini-tutorial, thank you so much! I am so pleased with how the trees look.

Thanks Scionical, I'm really glad to here that!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice Facebook Connected PeterRJG's Avatar

Question

Hello Arsheesh...

Chances are I'm doing something fundamentally wrong here, but when I get to Step 4, use the Free Select Tool to draw outlines, it only allows me to draw one. In other words, I can only do one selection at a time. If I draw another, the first one disappears. Your example in the PDF shows seven individual cloud shapes, but I can't achieve this, for the reason mentioned.

Cheers,
    Peter
    Last edited by PeterRJG; 07-25-2011 at 09:14 PM.

Hey there Peter. Easy fix, in the tool options for "Free Select" you'll see several different selection options (they look like pink and white little windows). One of these options is called "Add to current selection" (see the screen-shot) and, like the name implies, it allows you to make more than one selection.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Free Select Add Selection.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	37345  

Guild Novice Facebook Connected PeterRJG's Avatar

That did it, thank you so much.

No prob! Glad to help.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Great Tutorial, Arsheesh! You have already seen the map I used it with on RobA's tutorial. I'm trying the suggestions that I have found within this tread to get my forests to not be so beveled. I'm still working on it. I'll post what I've been messing with when I'm pleased with the outcome so you or anyone else can see if there is a way I can improve. I'm still new to gimp so I'm not sure what exactly every change I make does

Glad it was of some help to you! Yes, if you get stuck anywhere, or have nay other questions please feel free to post a pic and I'll try to provide feedback for you.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

After two years of revisions to this tutorial, I've finally gotten around to making an updated version of this tutorial. Hopefully it helps people to overcome some of the common pitfalls of the first tutorial.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast