Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Veil Vale - an experiment

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    I have an actual movie demo tool now that I still haven't tried out.
    I used CamStudio Open Source with great success.

Quote Originally Posted by Naryt View Post
    Arg...isn't that just a bit too Flashy?

{Runs laughing maniacally from the room}
    I smite thee oh foul punster!

-Rob A>

Default Examples in play

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I might try a 100' x 100' encounter sized map at 100 ppi = 5 feet, saved in both PNG and JPG, you could download either and test it out on GRIP / Fantasy Grounds for me, at least post a screen capture or two of the results.
    Can do.

The thing for the roleplaying VTT encounter maps is size. You want to activate the map and send it to players quickly so that you can get on with the encounter. Under 1Mb in size is good as it downloads reasonably quickly. A scale of between 30 and 70ppi to 5' is fine.

With the wargame VTTs, you are more willing to load a large map as it's all done at the start of the game.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fg2-gm.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	1161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fg2-player.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	1162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grip-igm.PNG 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	1163   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grip-ipc.PNG 
Views:	57 
Size:	575.1 KB 
ID:	1164  
    Last edited by Valarian; 10-19-2007 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Added in the screenshots from FG and GRIP
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Again, I would like to mention that I want to have 200 ppi (100 ppi at a minimum) for the native download. That gives me the ability to scale down as needed. It is very difficult to scale up and maintain a nice appearance. That way if a group has someone with low bandwidth they can still use it, but if everyone has broadband connections they can benefit from the more detailed map.

It should also be noted that the various VTTs themselves have different ways of distributing their maps. MT actually has the ability to host directly from the GM's server or to pull from a webserver. A nice feature that was recently added. Also, the files themselves can be sent directly outside of the tool and the players can host them locally which allows the GM to distribute the needed larger files well in advance of the actual game time.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Added the screenshots for Fantasy Grounds and GRIP in the previous post above
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Interesting. The interface is nice looking but the figures and/or grid are not to scale unless you resized the map. Assuming that each square is 5' of course.

Gamerprinter, does the scale on those look correct to you? Based on that grid the PCs could simply hop over the rivers/streams.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Praise Wow - that's cool!

I can actually appreciate my own map more seeing it put to use like this!

I own Battlegrounds, though have not used it yet, looking like I better start. There's lots of potential in VTT.

Looks like I might have to order Fantasy Grounds as well.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

You might want to take a look at the free ones as well. Folks that save money on their VTT may be a bit more apt to purchase maps and other content.

Default Per my original scale, no...

Interesting. The interface is nice looking but the figures and/or grid are not to scale unless you resized the map. Assuming that each square is 5' of course.

Gamerprinter, does the scale on those look correct to you? Based on that grid the PCs could simply hop over the rivers/streams.
    Per my original intended scale, no. The trees seem more like bushes and the river more like a stream.

However in Valarian's defense, except for the trees, this map is useful in whatever scale best meets its user's needs. Although I picture a larger scale with 40 foot minimum drop at the higher waterfalls, the user could see something like a total of 20 foot drop from the top of the upper falls and the bottom of the lower falls - the graphics work either way, thus a universality in the design technique.

But RP, you are quite correct in your assumption that the scale has been reduced to 25% its original.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Default I'd offer multiple formats for VTT products

You might want to take a look at the free ones as well. Folks that save money on their VTT may be a bit more apt to purchase maps and other content.
    As with anything I create, I try to provide as many formats as possible to target the largest user-base. Of course I'd obtain or otherwise become familiar with every VTT application.

Comparatively in my map printing side of my shop, I own CC3, DD3 and Dundjinni, I have Dungeoncrafter 3, and am thoroughly familiar with Heavy Metal Map, Cartograph, and of course use PS/GIMP to open most every other graphics format a map might come within. This way I can open and print anyone's map file - PDFs included. Because I actually run a daytime repro shop, I work with AutoCAD and Microstation too - though only enough to print somebody's file.

So any map I create for the VTT market would be sized and saved to every format any user is likely to need.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 10-19-2007 at 07:16 PM. Reason: grammar
    DrivethruRPG store

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I smite thee oh foul punster!

-Rob A>
    FLEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Oh, silly me...why run from it when it's so true?
    Innkeeper at the Darkwood Inn. The Foul Punster of the Cartographers' Guild!

Better role playing than dragon slaying!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast