When I'm doing maps for publication, the tools I use, and the approach I take, ultimately boil down to the needs of the publisher ... but in practice it's always been a mix of scanned hand-drawn stuff, Illustrator for vectors*, and Photoshop for raster finishing (if any), with a few nostalgic touches in terms of drafting-symbol sheets and old rub-down type.

When I'm doing maps for self-publication, the tools and approach change drastically since I'm designing for the home printer, so even when working in similar styles I have to completely re-engineer methods to minimize file size, printer-memory load, leaning on any particular ink in a CMY or CMYK inkjet, etc. Same tools as above, but used very differently, especially in the final stages.

When I'm doing maps for my own campaigns, I like felt-tip pens and colored pencils

I've played with other stuff ... I've got a tablet, I've found Sketchup useful for idea-bashing, that kind of thing. But most of that has just been at the dabbling level; I haven't really learned to speak those things like a language, and I need that before I'll inflict it on a customer (whether directly, or indirectly through an employer).