Quote Originally Posted by aiRo25 View Post
Does anyone know about mapping in Corel PhotoPaint? I've done a lot of graphic design over the years, and unfortunately, this is the only program I'm thoroughly familiar with and I already have it. So frankly, I'd love to find out if anyone here works in it and has any tips or tutorials.

I've been peeking at all the options on the table and it's so overwhelming trying to pick one and actually write my book at the same time. If I could work in something I know, then it takes most of the stress out of it.

Hope that makes any sense.

BTW, .png is a supported file type.
I don't know of anyone here that uses PhotoPaint, but there might be. It's just as much a matter of features as anything else. For example, many of the things Photoshop does can also be done in GIMP but there are a few things GIMP can't do or can't do anywhere near as well. Likewise, there are some things GIMP can do that PS can't come anywhere close to doing.

There is also a hugh difference depending on the type of map you trying to make. For example, Torstan usually makes maps far more on the artsy side most of the time which are more like paintings. While I can't say for sure, I believe he mostly does line drawings, followed by color, and then 1 or more 50% grey layers set to overlay mode and burn/dodge to create height. On the other side, many people create bump maps, so if you want that effect, your application of choice needs to have that feature.