Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Who plays Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition in here?

Actually, once I get the basics setup, adding a Simple: Press forum (for example) is easily done, but to match the graphics (I do graphics) between the forum and the rest of the site requires customizations - then I will need help.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 06-10-2010 at 11:35 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Hi GW, long time no hear.. ... and yes, down to basics its just about enjoying the game... reminds me of missing Villains and Vigilantes - that was a great game - totally unbalanced - but cool none the less. Especially the rules for flying through the air, and walls when hit hard
    Ah, V&V. Now that brings back some memories. My friend and I had a campaign that lasted for almost 25 years. We recently "rebooted" the universe using Mutants & Masterminds and reimagined ourselves as teen-aged heroes once more (with similar powers to the original incarnations, but subtle differences), but this time, we are taking the standpoint of being teenagers in the modern era (even though we are, in reality, in our 40s).
    John Grigsby
    Gaming Operations Director, CoastCon 37
    Member-at-Large, CoastCon 37

Currently using Dundjinni, Photoshop CS3, and MapTool
    Unless otherwise stated, any work I post here can be freely used and distributed provided credit is given to me as the originator. If you find it useful or make modifications, I'd love to hear about it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

shhh... we're never in our 40s
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

How I wish that were true. I have played 4E but none of my current groups are using it. We mainly play Pathfinder and GURPS, with some Star Wars (Saga), Call of Cthulu, Mutants and Masterminds, and some others thrown in from time to time when we break from the main game. It's possible we'd give 4E a go in the future.

My first impressions of 4E weren't that hot but that had more to do with the situation than the game itself, I suppose. I wasn't looking to buy a new library and wasn't all that happy with some of the members of my gaming group at the time. As has been said on this thread and elsewhere, the rules are just a system that let you tell a story. I think both 3.5e and 4e were rules systems heavily geared toward the battlemap encounter...but just because they have those rules doesn't mean you have to play that way. I've run/played 3.5e games with nary a mini hitting the map for a session. Surely the same thing is possible in 4e. The rules are there when you need them...but it doesn't have to become a constant game of D&D minis unless you want it to.
    M

Blog Entries

agreed... I remember one of the creators of ICE's Rolemaster once saying that in his own personal campaign there were a "fight" every 3-4 sessions... and sometimes the players ran from that *lol* ... they played a heavy political game instead...
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

I don't blame them. Fights in Rolemaster can last for ages if you haven't taken the time to prep thoroughly. And for RM, prepping means photocopying charts for each weapon that will be used and calculating several variants of modifiers for each character in advance. Still one of my favorite games, though.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

yep... always had photocopies of relevant weapon tables.. and I remember my binder for my wizard, lots of pages with spells at my fingertips... loved that game
    regs tilt

Blog Entries

I have played D&D Basic, Expert, Advanced, 2nd Ed, 3rd Ed and 4th but not 3.5 or Pathfinder. Loads of short times playing non D&D RPGs too but not ever as much as D&D. I liked the old basic and expert as it really had that Gygax feel to it. Very raw and interesting with a strong lean on the fantasy side. By 2e the rules were complicated and had a lot of anomalies to them but I had my best D&D under that system. Did a little 3e - liked the way it was all unlimited and more linear than previous rule sets but didn't particularly like the feats and skills approach. I am enjoying IGs 4e Witchlights campaign but kinda in spite of the 4e rules. I am finding the rules a little style cramping. I don't like the second wind and these set piece abilities. There's still scope for role playing but there's no doubt that the rules have diminished the role playing choices that you can make if you also want to be effective in a fight. Outside of the fight and dice stats tho there's nothing stopping all the usual role playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I have played D&D 3rd Ed but not 3.5 or Pathfinder.
    While they call it 3rd and 3.5, the differences are quite cosmetic. For example in 3rd Edition you had Golems with immunity to magic weapons if the 'plus' was too low, they removed this from 3.5 and simply replace with D.R. or damage reduction. If the weapon did not qualify then a certain example of damage was reduced from the attack.; think 'Hardness'.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Blog Entries

@redrobes - I must agree, hate to make choices between powers/feats that would make a good character and a "powerfull" character.
    regs tilt

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast