Thread: My Map and need advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

well I continued on, its easy to fix everything, just what do you guys think? I'm not to sure about the forests, or the grass, something just seems to not really fit, maybe all the elements are not similar enough but anyways heres a mainly completed island
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think that the forests and grass look really good except for one minor issue:

The base of the tree trunks is darker than everything else on the forest. I would do something (don't ask me what) to minimize the appearance of the tree trunks. Other than that, I really like the look of it.

Guild Journeyer

You have a great separation between all the elements except for the forests. The mountains are all clearly separate and while they are similar it's clear they are individual objects. The trees of the forests lack this differentiation.

Maybe a slight color change at the edge of the tree's canopy to show where that tree ends and the next begins.

At first glance the forests look a bit like a continuous hedge with little feet sticking out.

I agree with Glenn: put in a different way, the mountains stand out as individual items, clearly outlined and defined, while the rest of the map (aside from the icons) is painterly and combined. This could work to add interest, though, if they do not clash--and they don't. So I say keep the mountaisn that way, BUT the trees having nicely, evenly separated trunks does not work for me.

I'd say vary them and scruntch them in somewhat to see how that looks. The trees in the earlier 3 you posted do not work for me at all because they look like fuzz stuck on sticks; I'd say blotch them up a bit. I think you may wish to emulate/adapt Jared's maps' tree styles, for they are similar to your maps'; check out this thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1170

I also do not like in that last island you posted that the mountains appear to sit on top of the trees. This may be fixed, though, when you fix your tree style.

The color scheme you have really appeals to me. Well done! In general, I like your style and what you are building. Very impressive!!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]