Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by tannjew View Post
    Now I want to create the mountains and I'm here in the tutorial:

But always when I click an the New Layer button I get the following Error message:

Cannot create a new layer from the floating selection because it belongs to a layer mask or channel.
    I think you are doing the "Copy Visible" while having the layer mask selected on a layer. Try selecting a different layer (or at least not the layer mask) before the "Copy Visible"

-Rob A>

This tutorial is brilliant (It's actually making me think about switching to GIMP for map making), but I'm having trouble getting the mountains to look 'natural'.

By that I mean that unlike yours, which vary in elevation after the bump mapping, they just appear as raised blocks. Could it be that I need to blur them some more to show the cloud noise?

Thanks

Craig,

I had some trouble with that too, but I realized from a screenshot that RobA was using the "sinusoidal" setting in the Bump Map filter, which makes the mountains look much better than the "linear" setting. Maybe that will help?

I only realised that after looking at one of the screens, but they still don't look anything close to the ones in the tutorial. I might restart from that point, and see if I can get better results the next time round.

Belgium - Lands of chocolate and the Marsupilami

Thank's for all your wise advises.

Would like to give you rep

Hi All,

firstly let me say this site is awesome and thanks Rob for this great tutorial. It is so detailed the end product looks stunning.. now if only i can get there.

I have been following the tutorial for most of last night and today but am still struggling namely with the mountains. In comparing Rob's example to my own attempt Rob's mountains seem to have the clouds pattern on them where mine are solid. I am sure this is the problem, but just cannot work out where I am going wrong, even after several coplete re-starts I end up with the same thing.

I have posted my gimp file hoping someone will be able to provide me with a breakdown on how to do this... I just think i need simpleton instructions.

Thanks in advance

Ian
    Attached Files Attached Files

I also am having troubles at this stage. I ma getting to this point then get confused with your layers and masks. The pasting of the new layer is about where I get lost then my screen doesnt match you posts.
    Any input would be helpfull.