Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Cup Of Kings (Magical Item)

Also, I think that tying the cup's magic to a specific geographical location might be more limiting than it needs to be as well.

fyi - you are doing a great job jtougas in keeping this thing up to date and fitting in as many ideas as you have based off all the feedback. Just wanted to say that in case you felt like you were getting run ragged here. You just happen to be at the bottleneck for everything that is to come right now. That is fun and maybe frustrating at times but you are doing a good job.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by jaxilon View Post
    fyi - you are doing a great job jtougas in keeping this thing up to date and fitting in as many ideas as you have based off all the feedback. Just wanted to say that in case you felt like you were getting run ragged here. You just happen to be at the bottleneck for everything that is to come right now. That is fun and maybe frustrating at times but you are doing a good job.
    qft

-ig

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

good points ig, I'm all for simplifying it
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Thanks Jax. I'm trying to get everyone's ideas in this but it's becoming increasingly difficult to do that and keep it simple Here is another revision I removed the deity and the geographical restrictions and simplified it as much as I think it can be. I also changed the description to make it fit the horn idea. (I would still like to call it the "Cup of Kings" though). I also integrated IGs ideas about the Druidic Circle.

*EDIT* added "must have legitimate claim to be king of something" to the cups restrictions of use.

The Cup of Kings

The Cup of Kings is an ancient magical device given to a brave king in the dim past of the kingdom by a circle of Druids grateful for the destruction of an Orcish tribe that defiled the land.

The king was told by the Druids that he must drink from the cup yearly. He was to do this for all the years of his life. All his descendants were also bound by this promise.

The cup is formed from the horn of a great beast. It is banded in silver with the names of all bearers inscribed upon it. Many of the names are in a language no longer spoken in the land.

The cup is filled with a light almost clear liquid . No one is sure what the liquid is although it is a safe assumption that it is a intensely magical substance. Kings have said that it tastes like the finest wine they have ever had.

The original location of the meeting between the first king and the Druids was a clearing in a forest in the center of the kingdom. This is where the Druids presented the cup to the past king. Every summer solstice the king travels to this spot to drink from the cup. (this is not necessary for the cup to bestow it's benefits it is merely a tradition carried out from king to king).

The Cup bestows the following benefits: First the name of the new owner will magically be engraved below that of the previous bearer, and Second, the user of the Cup is magically bestowed a mystical understanding of the state of the land. This understanding includes the general mindset of the people, any needs of the land and animals, and more useful for a ruler the awareness of the movement of large groups of individuals upon the land. These effects are known collectively as the "Eyes of Kings"

The cup is obviously a very important item to the kingdom (and it's rulers) It is not generally known that anyone with a legitimate claim to be king of something may drink from the cup as it's magic is not specific to one person or family. The bearer of the cup merely needs to drink from it to reap the benefits. This does not immediately make him or her the new ruler of the land but it does provide significant advantage in taking over the throne.
    Last edited by jtougas; 03-28-2011 at 09:07 PM.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post

The original location of the meeting between the first king and the avatar was a clearing in a forest in the center of the kingdom.
    Looks like you missed a bit clearing out the god bit.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Looks like you missed a bit clearing out the god bit.
    Good eye. I fixed it. Thanks
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

good work, now if jax would paint a big version of the horn (about 1/4 page letter) I think we're set here for now.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I will work on it. I'm going to be out of town for the next 5 days however so probably won't see anything until I get back.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    I will work on it. I'm going to be out of town for the next 5 days however so probably won't see anything until I get back.
    Back yet?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast