Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: System info

personally, I would go for both versions, though some tweaking would need to be done to fit to both. i.e. An orc is a standard 3.5 level one monster, but is around level 3-5 in D&D 4e.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have no experience with actually playing in a 4e campaign (having only recently bought the core rules books) but I think which ever system let us make the best product with the least hassle would be the way to go.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I'm confused does the 4e GSL prevent the re-skinning of monsters? i.e. Below is an example of a Orc Sergeant re-skinned.

Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think re-skinning is a "grey zone" ... the safe way to go was to change a few things extra other than the name - like the weapon and the name of a power - perhaps move a stat... but the actual odds of them going through our scenario meticulously are slim, I think they just want to know that we don't use their exact stuff and reference to the rule books correctly (and put in the GLS required info page) and then they are fine with it
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Yes, we can 'reskin' in the sense of making the monster higher/lower, but changing 'just the name' is a no-no, and would like get us spanked.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Yeah I realize that kinda went cheap with just a name change and basically did a quick job but you understand the just of where I was going. Adopting the same mechanics that make an orc what it is rather then a goblin lets say. Cool I'm assuming we need to use the stat blocks the same according to the SRD.

P.S. I've been interested in Pathfinder as well so I think I'm gonna procure myself a version of core rules for it and read up. I'm still at heart a newer RPG'er.....Blasted Northern Ontario and it's lack of......anything.....
    Last edited by geamon; 03-24-2011 at 03:17 PM.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Maybe we can have the writers keep it neutral suggesting monsters for certain encounters. Then we have two teams, team one is Pathfinder savvy and they take the work and throw in the relevant monsters and ideas. Team two makes the material 4E ready.
    Then both get released making Pathfinder and 4E peeps happy. As long as we have enough people to work on each version.
    Also did we decide what and if to charge for the work? I think we need to charge something with all proceeds going to the guild, the one thing that I don't think i have seen yet is that to sell the product, even giving it away will require setting up the product on various sites like RPG now. Unless we go totally free but ask for donations to the guild for the product. Sorry if this was discussed someplace.

Torstan mentioned something I'm not sure was picked up on and that is Piazo. If we did this Pathfinder/3.x we can likely promote the final product through them and if we chose I guess sell it via their website?

Now, I'm not sure we are all agreed on exactly what we want in this regard: whether we wanted to just release it free, offer it for a donation to the guild, or attempt to market it some other way with the proceeds going to the guild. I would say if we are going to put the effort into it we may as well aim big. Also, I am not sure if we might need some sort of agreement between us all for this to happen but as far as I'm concerned my hope is to benefit the guild if it benefits anyone at all. Oh, and of course the experience we all get working together I think will be a blast.

@DN - It was slightly mentioned in the original startup thread and I think everyone is in agreement that any funds would go to the guild. I think also, we kind of wanted to see our final product before we decided if we should give it out free asking for a donation or if we should definitely put a price on it. Since it is the first ever "Adventure" put out by the Cartographer's guild I think we will be most happy if it is a success, however we do that.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 03-24-2011 at 09:52 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JoeyD473's Avatar

I don't play 4E and haven't played Pathfinder yet either. Personally I am a 3.5 guy myself so my vote would be for pathfinder over 4e

I just barelly started up on 4e, never played on anything else, its simple enough, but I like DN's idea of running two groups, and if one group is lacking from another, maybe run the first group and then once closer to finish, just reskin the thing in the other edition... Now as for the player cards, would it be so difficult to fully redo the cards and information, using the monster vault as a reference? Cause all we need is a template to pass around, and it wouldn't be too difficult to produce several monsters for the encounter...
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast