Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking Big - Torq's landgrab - choose a territory

Blog Entries

Cheers Torq, knowing that you tried is good enough. Now I have to play a little catch up. Theres some great maps coming along.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Glad to see you got your raw file in the end!
    Thanks for trying tho Ravs. I dont know FT at all but Monks said that...

FT can only export viewports as mdr so ft to hf2 was out- hence the tg detour.

...so we went from mdr to tg to ter to tiff to gray to png. I also have the HF2 for myself too.

Were you using a file that was just the region or did you have to zoom in and save a viewport from Neons World4 original. And did you find a way to save a raw file directly ?

Another question I am thinking now is should I try to use the WIP scraper (like that of the challenge thumbnail generator) to generate a 6x5 tile webpage of everyones sectors ?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

RedRobes... you really work too hard... work to hard to make our lives easier

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post

...so we went from mdr to tg to ter to tiff to gray to png. I also have the HF2 for myself too.

Were you using a file that was just the region or did you have to zoom in and save a viewport from Neons World4 original. And did you find a way to save a raw file directly ?

Another question I am thinking now is should I try to use the WIP scraper (like that of the challenge thumbnail generator) to generate a 6x5 tile webpage of everyones sectors ?
    Wow. File>>Save As with type Special MDR in FT will output the height field at arbitrary resolution in the equirectangular projection for the whole world. Wilbur loads the MDR and saves a 16-bit PNG surface. Or did I miss something?

It was a file of the whole planet. I don't think that there's a way to export in raw as a particular view.

Blog Entries

I m not familiar enough to comment on its ability so ill just quote what Monks told me...

FT does export current viewport extents. I've tried the .mdr export and Wilbur is fine with it (well it would be). I'm not sure of the bit depth right now and I'm not sure if one can do this as a raw either but I can take it through other apps to get it to a hf2 anyway

...and then later...

...So I know he tried the FT to Wilbur route. Thats all I know but Monks tends to know about these things as he transfers between apps a lot so I just took it that it must be true. It sounds like I could have got to png16 easier then but I need hf2 so I derived the png from the hf2.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 04-06-2008 at 08:39 AM.

I m not familiar enough to comment on its ability so ill just quote what Monks told me...

FT does export current viewport extents. I've tried the .mdr export and Wilbur is fine with it (well it would be). I'm not sure of the bit depth right now and I'm not sure if one can do this as a raw either but I can take it through other apps to get it to a hf2 anyway

...and then later...

...So I know he tried the FT to Wilbur route. Thats all I know but Monks tends to know about these things as he transfers between apps a lot so I just took it that it must be true. It sounds like I could have got to png16 easier then but I need hf2 so I derived the png from the hf2.
    I just wanted to be sure that there wasn't some particular reason that you used that tool chain. I'll try to remember to get a whole-world and view 16-bit PNG surface output into FT in the future.

I did a Wide Histogram on the 16-bit global heightfield. The smallest value is 9200, the largest value is 15950. The Optipix Wide Histogram filter I have uses bins with a width of 25 values, so I can't give you exact stats, but I'd calculate that the image uses at least 270 distinct values and at most 6750. Not exactly 2^16, but better than 256.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I tried to rep you, but no go... I'll try again later. Maybe this is the punishment for trying to rep myself .
    Last edited by su_liam; 04-07-2008 at 01:47 AM.

Redrobes, thanx for the Region PNG heightfield.

Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast