Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking Big - Torq's landgrab - choose a territory

Guild Member

so do I just take the thumbnail image and make it larger, or is there a larger view of the section?
    or are we just making them thumbnail sized?

Guild Journeyer

Hi there CC_JAR.

I went through this process a little while ago, so I can help you there. Delgondahntelius did have #29 but it passed on to me - [Region 1][Map 29] Mythkhardia

The process is to start like you have - find a bit which looks abandoned and ask about it. Then try to contact the original 'owner' - their name on the image Torq put up here's a link to that post - PM them and make announcment on the abadoned maps thread (link below) and/or the thread for that area ( link to the index below) which might actually give you up to date info of who's got that area now and any previous/current status about it . You'll need to wait 7 days to give time for the person working on it to reply give a shout etc, if still all quiet then it's fair game partcuarly if it's not be upated for a long time so check out the dates of the last posts.

I basically poked around a bit on all these threads to find out information. Orginally I was going to have a go on Darkone's 2 & 3 as they were inactive for months - just so happen the day I PMd him was the day before Darkone returned to continue, so I moved on to another area and Delgondahntelius was kind to let me have one of his areas (thanks again Delgondahntelius!)

Checkout the abandoned maps thread which is updated to show who's working the remaining- when possible, and this is a good link - index links of all the areas (which I keep loosing and forget where it is - the mighty Redrobes set it up in the abadoned map thread post #3 )

When you do get some turf for yourself, Redrobes can help you out there, providing you with various height field and higher resolution versions - here's what I got for #29 and if you can, it'll be great to post up regular updates on your own region's thread

The idea is to get this whole section done before moving onto another. Torq can give you more details. This is all stuff I've picked up various threads in the Cooperative Worldbuilding Project area - but it's fun and plenty of work to come when you look at the world map!

hope that helps and welcome aboard!

jez

Quote Originally Posted by CC_JAR View Post
    so do I just take the thumbnail image and make it larger, or is there a larger view of the section?
    or are we just making them thumbnail sized?
    If your ready to start, you could take over Map 05 from me. Someone else started it, but barely got anything down and I just have not had time. I seem to be having a mental block on this particular map. Thread here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1880
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks Jezelf for stepping. My memory's not what it used to be.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Blog Entries

Most people have made each of the map tiles about 1000 or so pixels square but some are a little bigger. I think somewhere between 1000 and 4000 square would be good. High res here is a bonus as most people would then take out a section for a map region from that base and map some cities in there.

I will set up the base helper images for section 5 so if there is a new post in there then you can try that one if you want.

The link to the index of all regions is in the CWBP wiki under the project overview - which does need a bit more info in it...
    http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/i...oject_Overview

Its good to do regions but I think the really good stuff is in the smaller areas, cities and battle scale stuff so I for one dont want to rush off and start another set of tiles. If we did then maybe 100miles square not 600 would be better next time and maybe we should split up one of the existing Ansium tiles into 36 instead of going for a whole new place.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

so disregard that pm I sent you torq...

I still busy deciding on what style I would like to use for the map, though I am busy jotting down ideas.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by jezelf View Post
    Hi there CC_JAR.

I went through this process a little while ago, so I can help you there. Delgondahntelius did have #29 but it passed on to me - [Region 1][Map 29] Mythkhardia

The process is to start like you have - find a bit which looks abandoned and ask about it. Then try to contact the original 'owner' - their name on the image Torq put up here's a link to that post - PM them and make announcment on the abadoned maps thread (link below) and/or the thread for that area ( link to the index below) which might actually give you up to date info of who's got that area now and any previous/current status about it . You'll need to wait 7 days to give time for the person working on it to reply give a shout etc, if still all quiet then it's fair game partcuarly if it's not be upated for a long time so check out the dates of the last posts.

I basically poked around a bit on all these threads to find out information. Orginally I was going to have a go on Darkone's 2 & 3 as they were inactive for months - just so happen the day I PMd him was the day before Darkone returned to continue, so I moved on to another area and Delgondahntelius was kind to let me have one of his areas (thanks again Delgondahntelius!)

Checkout the abandoned maps thread which is updated to show who's working the remaining- when possible, and this is a good link - index links of all the areas (which I keep loosing and forget where it is - the mighty Redrobes set it up in the abadoned map thread post #3 )

When you do get some turf for yourself, Redrobes can help you out there, providing you with various height field and higher resolution versions - here's what I got for #29 and if you can, it'll be great to post up regular updates on your own region's thread

The idea is to get this whole section done before moving onto another. Torq can give you more details. This is all stuff I've picked up various threads in the Cooperative Worldbuilding Project area - but it's fun and plenty of work to come when you look at the world map!

hope that helps and welcome aboard!

jez
    wow, that kind of makes it sound a bit daunting..
    Perhaps I should lurk a bit more and keep practicing, at least get to know my way around here first..
    but if there are more to come in the future, I figure, I'll take one of them when they come.

Guild Journeyer

Sorry - I didnt meant to put you off!

- it's just a little bit complicated for us late arrivals on this. If we were at the start it would have been just a matter of saying which one you want to do and doing it. All that's different is that we have to check the abandoned maps are actually abandoned first.

I think it'll be great if you could get to do one there's a mixture of work so far and it makes the project even more interesting.

And I think it was stated before that there are tons of areas open for city or regional mapping, or even for smaller-scale stuff like buildings or other locations.

If it's a landscape you want, the region of Briar's Cove on my Witchlight Strand map is very much available, and affords the opportunity for multiple city/town locations and a bit of terrain in between. It's not a full-sized map like the others, but you could probably get a good 50 mile square out of it if you tried, if not a bit bigger.

That, and I could really use some help developing the details of the entire region - I've been stagnate with it for a while now.

It's an option - take it if you want it, or there plenty more where that came from.

Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast