Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Thinking Big - Torq's landgrab - choose a territory

Guild Member

I also noticed after I had drawn out this setting, that the village in the woods may be a bit too close to the walled city, so I'm thinking about switching the side of the entrance to the NE instead of the W as it is now.

Actually it may not be too close at all. The people in the city have to eat. It all depends on who lives in the city. If the city is military and merchants, there may well be another settlement for the farmers in the area. The farmers would retreat to the walled city if there were a threat. The only reason to have the farmers living in the city itself is if the area is under constant threat, requiring them to sleep within the fortifications and travel to the fields by day.

The south gate of the city looks fine. There would probably be a market close to the gate so that the farmers don't need to travel far in to the city to sell their wares.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Quote Originally Posted by CC_JAR View Post
    Well, I'm SoL on most of those, I live in a small town. no scanner at the library, only a copy machine, no printing shops within 25-50 miles, and I have a car, but my license has been revoked.

but anyways, industrygothica, I have this much done already on Briar's Cove, didn't really know which forum to post it under, so if someone would point me in the right direction?

Oh, and I may need help on the buildings... I suck at buildings, even when hand drawn. any tutorials just on making good looking buildings?
    I've made a map thread for you here. Upload your map there so that we can have a proper discussion on it instead of cluttering up this thread.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    I've made a map thread for you here. Upload your map there so that we can have a proper discussion on it instead of cluttering up this thread.
    Ok, I'll post there in just a bit.. thanks I wasnt sure where it was supposed to go.

Just wondering, but how would I go about for making a map for this?

Also, are all the areas in the first post part of Region 1? or what? are there any maps open? do u get to name the map u make?

sorry, just questions that pop into my head. I ventured in here for the first time, and this world building thing intrigues me
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post

Also, are all the areas in the first post part of Region 1? or what? are there any maps open? do u get to name the map u make?

sorry, just questions that pop into my head. I ventured in here for the first time, and this world building thing intrigues me
    All mapped areas are part of region one at this point. I think that all of the original 30 blocks were taken at some point, but there are a few that appear to have been abandoned. There's a process to go about laying claim to an abandoned map, conveniently located in the Abandoned Maps thread. The difficult part will be determining what's been abandoned and what hasn't. That's actually been on my to-do list for some time now...

Once we find you a location you're satisfied with, you're free to name it anything you want.

When I have more time I'll try to weed out the stagnate maps so that you'll have something to pick from, but you're welcome to start the search yourself in the mean time.

-IG

Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post

I currently own Map 5, but you can feel free to take it over if you like. Unfortunately, I just don't think I will be able to commit to the time it will take to do this right in the immediate future. TerrainMonkey started this map, but had real life kick him and had to abandon the project and I thought I could take over. I created some history for the area that I liked, but no map. Feel free to take over and change anything you want in the history if you like. The map Thread is here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1880. If you decide to change the name, just let us know and I or one of the other CL's will change the thread title for you. Also, you may want to look at your neighbors that have been completed to see what type of history they have when you add/modify anything I had previously done so it's fairly consistant.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Looking outside of Ansium...

I'm looking to develope some land for a new campaign setting, but I can't have located on the same continent as Ansium. In fact I'm looking for a separate large island. I know that the Ansium Real Estate Brokers want to concentrate their efforts on Ansium proper, rather than develope anything else. Its just I have some special needs and its almost on the other side of the planet!

I'm want to develope, something tentatively called the Imperial Islands of Asahi, currently governed by the Fukuhara Bakufu (Taira Shogunate).

I need an island nation, big, but not too big and not connected to any other culture - I need isolation from the rest of the world. A Japanese like culture works best as an island sovereignty and their are no large islands attached to the Ansium continental landmass. This is why Ansium doesn't work for me.

I've selected a rectangular region of some islands east of Ansium proper. I wouldn't mind having the selected area gridded out to correspond to regional sizes in Ansium. See the red rectangular area east of Ansium?

How about it guys?

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cwbp.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	267.2 KB 
ID:	10444  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Personally I dont see a problem with you using that section, as long as you promise to add it to the wiki. It is true that we have been staying with the Ansium area in order to encourage people to map regionally, settlement scale and even individual locations. I dont think we should branch out to a whole new continent yet as a collective effort, but as I understand it you mean to develop the whole isolated island.

I would like to get feedback from contributors but I personally have no objection in principle.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 LastLast