Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking Big - Torq's landgrab - choose a territory

Great Darkone!

Excellent to have you in the project. You have 2. You can do a lot worse than using RobA's tut to produce a map. Good luck, and dont be shy to ask the other people in the this project if you need any help.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Quote Originally Posted by Venardhi View Post
    Well, if we work of other names for earth, lets look a bit off the map from the generic Terra/Gaia/Earth

Tellus, Erde, Ina Maka, Jorda, Era, Erdaz, Orthe, etc. are all names once (and still for some) used for the Earth in various cultures.

Perhaps combine a couple of them: Jinde, Ordas, Jorth, Inas, Jorus, Inthe, Elluth, etc.

Plenty of possibilities, the only question is how to get everyone to agree.
    I like the names of the old continents:
    Pangea
    Gondwana
    Panthalassa
    Laurasia

One way would be to do another poll. Everyone chooses their favourite name for the planet and we get members to vote. I'm not sure if it will come to that, but if necessary I think its a good option.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Hehe, here is my name: Orgaia

Blog Entries

I don't care about which exact name we pick but heres a few thoughts following Neons excellent post...

We should check that the name is not trademarked in general,
    and is not something extremely common to some people,
    and is not rude or offensive in any language.

Also if its somebody elses RPG world then thats out and if that person is a company then its right out and if that company is successful enough to hire lawyers then I'm outta here

I.e. lets run it by google and find something that does not generate many hits.

Also, we should pick a world name and region name covering the 20 or so tiles. Some of the larger seas shared across many tiles might be good at this point too.

Assuming the names pass the uniqueness rules, I would suggest as soon as a several people like any name then just go with it or shortlist it for a poll.

Not a great choice Dark One. "Orgaia" is the Orvaelen word for the culmination of the physical act of love. Adolescents throughout Orvaelos giggle hysterically and blush when they hear that name.

By the way, while I really like an Arabic background for the Coriander Coast(it's pretty much required), looking at the big global map makes me think this area is a little too northerly for that. With my recent inspiration for "English" village names(Twitbollocks, Bushhollow, Billibottom), I'm considering a Shire theme for my section. Will this world have anything like Hobbits(Stoutlings, perhaps?)?

Perhaps in the dim past this are was ruled by some formerly great empire to the south(kind of equivalent to the Ottomans or the Romans... or Tolkein's elves) this would provide the kind of unifying language of general place names. I'm sure every major culture has it's own name for the world and most of it's features. So I might might label something in my map Little Hockspit River(Ladu Hakospiet) or Winsome Bay(Taga Winsiem). My Stoutlings tend to alter the Old One names for sound and poetry without much regard for meaning.
    Last edited by su_liam; 04-03-2008 at 02:10 PM.

I got a good chuckle out of that su_liam, you learn something new everyday and from DarkOne's "hehe" I think he might of known

Since coming up with a name might be hard, we could just call our project 'The Cartograph.' We need that new section, all these threads and polls are going to come out of everywhere soon.
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

That's one of the things I like about these cooperative ventures. Even silly little things thrown out in conversation can come back to hauntxxxxx inspire someone.

Ok, I'm guessing that each square is supposed to be 600x600 right?

I've blown up my square, with some of the area around it to that measurement. Also, we're using the rivers that are on the first page right? I's hard to get the same area because they're 2 different sized pictures.
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Now that is a good laugh Orgaia is some sexual act in some obscure language.

All I did was take Gaia and prepend Or to the front.

Oh well my attempt just flew out the door.

Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast