Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking Big - Torq's landgrab - choose a territory

haha, well in Orvaelen there are many words that mean more or less the same. Especially in this case. But it's nice to see that I'm not the only person here that speaks it.

@su_liam: Maecutnas vulputote DarkOne lutpuss dioti. Ut Su Liam. ;-)
    Last edited by hans_worst; 04-03-2008 at 03:24 PM.

A really nice touch by those with FT might be to create data images for those without. Perhaps in 4096-pixel scale. HF, land mask, river mask, climate(precip and temp, maybe veg), possibly in Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area like the HandsomeRob maps. Is FT scriptable? If so, this could be done in batch late at night.

Me? I'm cool with trying to scale the existing images up and interpolating willy-nilly.

My region is technically part of Orvaelos, and the humans are part of the Orvaelan culture for the most part, but the Shire(For want of a name. I'd like something pastoral. I've considered The Paddock, but that might be considered egotistical)is a somewhat separate culture. Stoutlings don't appreciate sea travel all that much(they prefer to walk on their own hairy feet, when possible)so the coastal fishing towns are largely Orvaelan. The higher mountains are mostly dwarven land, and an upstanding Stoutling gentleman doesn't mix with that sort. So the "Shire" is largely settled in the flatlands and low hills between the sea and the forbidding Landshield Range to the east.

@hans_worst: Avas, Hano! Mae loqui sed parvuss Orvaeli. Loquae to Lingoa Vulgara?
    Last edited by su_liam; 04-03-2008 at 03:46 PM.

Actually, depending on the planets history up to now, it would also be sensible that a more obscure name is picked. Like... Gillenval, for example, maybe as an abbreviated version of a longer word which once was the name of paradise for the alldominant culture. The culture has faded, but the name lives on. Maybe that name also means nothing else but "Best place to live in, yo!" :-D

New forum on the way, Torq.

It's great to have ideas, but having ideas by committee can bog the project down as every detail is discussed. I suggest you just take a view on the subjects currently under discussion and spell it out for us so we can get started.

Cheers

Ravs

Or, like too many open source projects, we could just fork it to perdition. This is a little early for that, but...

For those that like keeping score of these sorts of things, here is the area coverage map so far. I've added in further numbers because I have a sneaking suspicion that some of our colleagues are going to want to join up. We may even have to go to a new regional map.

I realised I've done a whole lot of talking and thinking but no mapping so far. I hope to remedy that and at least get a start this weekend.

What exactly are the issues that need deciding on?

World Name
    Region/Continent Name

Anything else?

Torq
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map1a.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	2958  
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

How do we deal with a place that would like on your map (like a piece of coast) but is on a part of some one else?

How we deal with rivers we don't like etc. etc.

There should be clarity for things like that.

@su_liam: Avas! Est, Ou Liam uo Su Liamo? Mae loqui ausi sed parvuss Lingoa Vulgara. Tresa archaismen e vulgarismen, ai ai ai...
    Last edited by hans_worst; 04-03-2008 at 04:20 PM.

"How do we deal with a place that would like on your map (like a piece of coast) but is on a part of some one else?"

If its on someone else's map its hands off. You cant do anything that will affect the map of a neighbour without getting their agreement.

"How we deal with rivers we don't like etc. etc."

Same answer really. If its a river that flows into someone else's territory they will be expecting it to be incorporated. Unless you agree with them the river will have to stay.

This is where the collaboration comes in. You can agree with your neighbours to change things that affect you both, but if you dont you have to abide by what is on the maps. If you want to make a change that only affects your area then feel free to do it.

Hope that makes it clearer.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

I'll take 28 and 29 then... guess I should have been paying more attention ... almost missed out completely

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

This seems to have taken off in a big way, perhaps the admins might consider making a completely new topic in the main forum for it... in the mapmaking section would probably work.... just a suggestion..

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast