Thread: Thinking Big - Torq's landgrab - choose a territory

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks for the rep Neon, much appreciated.

I agree with the divide into peoples rather than strict kingdom territory divides. My focus is the Groamings because my area is completely in my area. I love your suggestions for them. I think the plague and avoiding it has become so endemic to their way of life, that it infuses everything. Cults have sprung up obesessed with illness as well as many doomsday cults. Many groamings have left fleeing the devastation of their own lands. Vestiges of an economy remain in the Western areas though.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

When I get around to not lazing about, I'll scan that area for a place, and maybe actually get something done
    This is looking awesome so far, gj to all
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

OK I go for nr 8 as it seems no one is interested in this litle area of splendidness. This should be fun....I hope.

Welcome on board Clercon, 8 is yours. Good to have you and nice to fill in that block too.

Torq

I'm going to up and say that now I'm actually in photoshop and messing with this I'm going to want to make a few modifications to the coastlines, lakes and rivers, mountains, etc. The randomly generated map is good for a base, but it just doesn't feel right to me. Could be just because I'm working from a tiny image and had to up-rez it myself, which means it probably isn't very accurate in any case, but either way I need to be happy with what I'm working on, I think that is pretty much the only way I'll be able to keep my head in this.

As long as everything lines up with my neighbors, am I a-okay as far as ya'll concerned?

SO, BIG question before we get tooo far in our mapping efforts. There is a Great Tutorial for Fractal Terrains (Redrobes did not do it, but links it here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1753)

So, do we want to 'play' with our glob for a few moments, perhaps adjust them inland seas and stuff and then go forward?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

My view is that we can make adjustments in our maps rather then adjusting the globe using FT. My reason for saying this is that unless you actually have FT and can produce your regional outline and bump map at high enough res to use it directly, you are going to be doing some fudging anyway. Most people (like Venardhi and I) dont have FT and wil be using lower res images which we will have extrapolate into large maps by cheating or by just plain old manual copying. I'm not sure how anybody else feels though.

Torq

yeah, i'm fudging a few things myself. don't really have a coastline to deal with, just hills and mountains.

also, are we settling on a scale yet or is it "do what feels right"?

and since when did these plague victims start showing up on our lands?