Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Eriond - A Tutorial for GIMP & Wilbur

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Great Tutorial. I hope you will consider making a video because the final result was not as refined as example

Thanks ukie. Sorry to here that. I hadn't considered doing a video. If I had the time I'd look into it but unfortunately these days my dissertation keeps me pretty busy.

Too bad I hope you don't mind me bugging you. Good luck on dissertation. How much time are they giving you to write it? they gave me 8 years all together although hopefully I will finish it in 3

No bother at all ukie, wish I could oblige. My hope is to be done in 3 and a half, but it may go as long as 4. We'll see. Best wishes on your own dissertation btw.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Good luck to you too

This is an incredible tutorial. I been following it closely & asking lots of questions. But now at that end. I am stumped at the land noise portion. I can get the first part of noise done. But somehow, after I complete that process, I am no longer able to "replace selection with this channel" after I 15% blur. Not sure if I am in the channel, or layer. But I am pretty sure I am following the tutorial right. Anyone else have suggestions?

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected schattentanz's Avatar

Hi

First of all: Thanks for this tutorial - basically THIS is exactly, what I've been looking for my whole (digital mapmaking) life

Right now, I'm stuck, though, in the Wilbur part, when it comes to creating rivers.

For a better understanding, I have attached the result, Wilbur produces:
    Where the red lines are, I would have loved to see some rivers - instead the coastline gets "fractured" (sort of) and some (2, last time I counted) rivers appear in the ocean area ..

Now I'm wondering: What am I doing wrong / how do I do this right?

Thanks and kind regards,
    Kai
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wilbur.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	360.0 KB 
ID:	58392  

Hi schattentanz, I'm glad to here the tutorial is of use to you. About the coastlines, do you mean that you get lots of little rivers and grooves carved into the shore? If so that's a normal part of the Precipiton erosion process. If you'd rather not have them in your map just skip this particular step. However just so you are aware, one of the advantages of using the precipiton erosion filter is that it helps to gently erode hard edges, so if there are any edge-bits of mountain clouds on your map which, despite your best efforts at blending, still stick out, the precipiton erosion filter will help to erode them a bit. As to getting rivers in the ocean, that is completely normal. Don't worry about it because later on in the tutorial I explain how to get rid of these. On the other hand if you aren't getting rivers in the areas you indicated then there is a problem, because the incise flow erosion filter is supposed place rivers in those lower elevation points. Just to clarify then, you have run the Incise Flow filter and still aren't getting rivers there?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected schattentanz's Avatar

Hi arsheesh
    thanks for taking the time to reply and to explain

Yes, I did run the Incise Flow filter. I do not worry about those "rivers in the oceans" - ist rather the lack of rivers on the continents worrying me ..
    As you might see from the attached image, I created riverbeds by coloring the landscapes accordingly dark .. do I need to correct this?

Thanks and Kind regards,
    Kai

Guild Member Facebook Connected Thorf's Avatar

I don't know if this will help you, but it's worth a try.

I have found that Wilbur's rivers require basins to be completely filled in order to produce something that you might reasonably expect rivers to look like. Without filled basins, and especially if you are using incise flow, there will be little pits everywhere that suck in your rivers before they have a chance to get to any length at all. I would suggest that you try doing a fill basins command, and then try again. Note that if you are getting large basins, you may also need to add some noise - but I have found that this in itself messes up rivers, so usually I do: fill basins, percentage noise 1%, fill basins again.

Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast