Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Eriond - A Tutorial for GIMP & Wilbur

I found this website and tutorial a few weeks ago in an attempt get started at map-making. It took me a few tries to get decent results, but it's amazing how well the technique works once you get the hang of it. Thanks for the detailed tutorial, Arsheesh!

Here's what I ended up with. I went off script on a couple of things, including the rivers and ocean coloring. I'd like to have more detailed coastlines (comparable to those in MarkusTay's work in previous posts). If anyone has some advice on that, let me know.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map2.png 
Views:	219 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	63290

Guild Novice

For french cartographers, I propose a translation into french of Arsheesh's tutorial.

@Arsheesh, do you authorize me to publish such a tutorial. I took care to write it is inspired of your own even if some part are different. It is also a compilation of many methods I tried during my practice in order to generate a map as yours.

Name:	OHM Tutorial.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	63317

Name:	Brouillon9.png 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	63335
    Last edited by oterrien; 04-20-2014 at 06:14 AM.

Guild Novice

The best method I've ever tried. Thanks to this, I succeeded in drawing the map I dreamt of.

Name:	Telaria - 10.2.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	63320

Name:	Telaria - 11.2.png 
Views:	149 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	63321

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JefBT's Avatar

Very nice map, Zaelkonan, I just think the oceans are too bright (personal opinion), but the land is awesome.

Very good map too, oterrien, but contrasting with Zaelkonan, I think your seas are too dark (again, personal opinion), but it's awesome too.

Keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelkonan View Post
    I found this website and tutorial a few weeks ago in an attempt get started at map-making. It took me a few tries to get decent results, but it's amazing how well the technique works once you get the hang of it. Thanks for the detailed tutorial, Arsheesh!

Here's what I ended up with. I went off script on a couple of things, including the rivers and ocean coloring. I'd like to have more detailed coastlines (comparable to those in MarkusTay's work in previous posts). If anyone has some advice on that, let me know.
    That turned out nicely Zaelkonan! For the coastline, assuming you are using the fractal clouds method, you can increase coastal detail by decreasing the size of the fractal clouds you are using. There are also some tutorials floating around somewhere that discuss other methods for making more detailed coastlines, but you'll need to look for them.

Quote Originally Posted by oterrien View Post
    For french cartographers, I propose a translation into french of Arsheesh's tutorial.

@Arsheesh, do you authorize me to publish such a tutorial. I took care to write it is inspired of your own even if some part are different. It is also a compilation of many methods I tried during my practice in order to generate a map as yours.
    Very nice! By all means, please feel free to translate the tutorial into French. Oh and I don't mind if you want to make any modifications to it either - you just may want to let others know that they are your modifications to avoid confusion and to give yourself credit for any of your own innovations.

The best method I've ever tried. Thanks to this, I succeeded in drawing the map I dreamt of.
    I'm very happy to here that oterrien, you've done a bang-up job and ought to be proud!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice

Thank you Arsheesh for your words. I am very happy to hear compliment from a god-cartographer as you.

I put here the tutorial widely inspired from yours I have written last week. It is not a strict translation of yours but the idea is almost the same. Feel free to revert to me if any.

Name:	Tutoriel pour dessiner une carte réaliste avec Gimp et Wilbur.pdf 
Views:	198 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	63388

Guild Novice

Thank you JefBT. Do you prefer something like that regarding to water color ?

Name:	brouillon3.png 
Views:	236 
Size:	481.6 KB 
ID:	63389

That is what I expected to do for the next step.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JefBT's Avatar

That's awesome oterrien.

I just complained about the water color because I like middle range colors most, but that way is good too.

By the way, that brownish map you made is wonderful, very good effect.

Thank you Arsheesh for your words. I am very happy to hear compliment from a god-cartographer as you.

I put here the tutorial widely inspired from yours I have written last week. It is not a strict translation of yours but the idea is almost the same. Feel free to revert to me if any.

Name:	Tutoriel pour dessiner une carte réaliste avec Gimp et Wilbur.pdf 
Views:	198 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	63388
    Unfortunately I do not speak French, but I was able to follow along with the tutorial just be the example images. A really nice tutorial Oterrian, you've done a great job innovating it and taking it in a new direction. Thanks for sharing it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by JefBT View Post
    That's awesome oterrien.

I just complained about the water color because I like middle range colors most, but that way is good too.

By the way, that brownish map you made is wonderful, very good effect.
    I redid my map by adding more reliefs and lightening the sea. And then, I took the opportunity to add cities. Do you think it is better ?

Name:	Telaria - 10.1.2.png 
Views:	3805 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	63537

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast