Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Eriond - A Tutorial for GIMP & Wilbur

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks Arsheesh! I think the blurry effect has two causes. First, I did an erosion pass to get my rivers - incise flow didn't work properly for me - and I think that may have given me a softer result. Second, I painted the masks for my different color layers with a soft brush. Next time I'd use something with some texture. Definitely room for improvement, but at this point I'm happy to have something that isn't a complete eyesore.

Yup, every time I do a map in this style I learn something new myself, so there is always room for improvement. It is definitely a respectable map though.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice

arsheesh, I fell in love with your maps on Obsidian Portal and followed your links to this lovely site. Thanks for the breadcrumbs that led me here. I can only hope that eventually through all of these tutorials I will be able to come up with a map even half as good as yours.

Awe shucks, that's very nice of you to say Coppermane. When I first came to the Guild I had absolutely zero experience working with digital software, and the tutorials here really helped me learn the ropes. So if you spend some time practicing I have no doubt you'll be able to develop the skills to craft wonderful maps.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Well Arsheesh, I must say this is an amazing tutorial. It took me quite a while to master it, and it sure isn't the fastest way to draw mountains, but the result is far, far, far better than before I learned your technique. I'll create a seperate thread about my map in the near future, but I'll give you a quick peek at the semi-final result already. Let me know what you think about it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AWI%u002525203%2520sociaal.jpg 
Views:	778 
Size:	353.0 KB 
ID:	48237
    A larger version of the image can be found here.

Hi Caenwyr, I'm glad to here my tutorial was helpful to you. I like the colors of your map, they really blend together nicely. I wonder if the mountains might be a little washed out with all that white, but then if you really want to give the impression of alpine glaciers I can understand the decision to allow so much white. Overall this looks really nice.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected daeVArt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

wow, Just curious, is there any Photo shop translation on this tutorial? i really like the color theme... really suite the color that i really wanted for my World wide map. well, better learn GIMP then ^^... will upload the result when I start make the map

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

@ daeVArt, if you are comfortable with PS I would suggest trying the tut out in PS instead of trying to learn Gimp. Most of the techniques are simular in both programs and all it realy takes is learning what the commands used in one are called in the other. Make notes as you go through the trial and error and you should start to understand what strengths and weeknesses each may have. And learn the workarounds for your prog. Which is helpful because there are LOTS of tuts for Gimp that can be used with PS and vis versa.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

@ daeVArt - I haven't used PS and so did not do a conversion guide for PS for this tut. However, Korash is right, most of the techniques discussed in this tutorial are also available in PS (in fact the gradient map is actually better in PS since PS offers a preview window that allows you to visually adjust the colors before applying them. The only thing that might be different are the sort of cloud patterns used for the height map. I'm not sure if PS will generate similar cloud patterns or not. If you do try it out in PS I'd be curious to see how similar the result ends up being.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected daeVArt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@korash... Ah right... I'll try to apply the technique with PS then ^^
    @arsheesh okay, i'll make one with PS, will Upload the result soon

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast