Thread: [Award Winner] Eriond - A Tutorial for GIMP & Wilbur

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Funny, I just replied with an explanation of this to your WIP thread. However, for the benefit of anyone else who may be having the same questions/issues, I'll reply here as well. While the "Floating Selection" is a bit odd at first, it is actually a nice feature, because it allows you to manipulate the floating selection as much as you like before anchoring it to the layer you pasted it too. So, a step by step walk through of the process of copying and pasting selections from one layer to another layer in GIMP would be as follows:

1. Make the layer you want to copy from the active layer (click on that layer);
    2. Use your Free Select tool to create a selection of the desired area;
    3. Right click on the image and go to: Edit > Copy;
    4. Make the layer you want to paste to the active layer;
    5. Right click on the image and go to: Edit > Paste (this will create a "Floating Selection: Pasted Layer" above that layer);
    6. Manipulate the pasted layer if you so desire (e.g. rotate it, resize it etc);
    7. In the Layers Dialogue, click on "Anchor Floating Selection".

That should do it. As to the method you suggest, that works as well, though it will create a "Dropped Buffer" layer each time you to this, and you will eventually want to merged these all down into the appropriate Mountain 1 and Mountain 2 layers, so I guess in the end, either method works.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Last edited by arsheesh; 05-19-2012 at 10:01 PM.