Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 25] - The Witchlight Strand

Just remember - the steeper the slope the straighter the river. The flatter the terrain, the more meandering.

(Of course there's that whole terrain geology thing that messes up that generalization, but it works at large scales)

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Just remember - the steeper the slope the straighter the river. The flatter the terrain, the more meandering.

(Of course there's that whole terrain geology thing that messes up that generalization, but it works at large scales)

-Rob A>
    That's handy information to know, actually. Thank you.

-Rob A>
    River rule of thumb #2: Rivers cross contour lines at right angles. That is, rivers take the path of steepest descent. Maintained canals can cross at other angles. Unmaintained canals become either marshes/open land or rivers, depending on how they were unmaintained.

Oh yeah, the old "Rivers flow downhill" rule

-Rob A>

That was actually one of the first lessons I learned when I was lurking this site. Before, I always drew my rivers from the oceans and forked them off from there, thinking that was the natural flow of things.

Of course I felt like an idiot afterwards, but...

Gah! I think I'll only be doing deserts from now on. Geez!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	igworld_new.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	3357  

Actually before you finalise the rivers, you might just want to take a look at the next step I was thinking of (if you want your map to go this way). It involves using Bryce to get this sort of effect. I like it because you can get the forests (and rivers) to fold into the contours of the land and they look more convincing. Once you see the Bryce render it may affect how and where you draw the forests and rivers.

It might be worth doing the Bryce step before the rivers and forest so you have a better idea of the terrain slopes - but it's entirely up to you. We don't have to use Bryce at all and go for a different look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render2 copy.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	3365  

I wouldn't mind learning a little Bryce.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast