Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hanlon

No problem! I also believe that the blur/sharpen tool is sometimes called the convolve tool, which doesn't hold much meaning for most people...

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Convolve? - That almost sounds kinda dirty
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Yep, you can blur in Gimp. There is a blur tool (it's called smudge and it looks like a hand) and you cna use it with any of the normal brushes. I'd set the opacity of the blur brush quite low and use a large fuzzy brush. Then rub it over the area you want to fix until it has smoothed it out.
    One of the things I have started doing for mountains to get rid of the "ring" after a bump map is to take a selection of the mountain area which should get pretty close to the outline of your rings. Convert the selection to a path. Then set up the blur tool (you have to do this ahead of time) to be the right size/shape brush, jitter if you want it, % of smudge/blur ,etc. Then select the path and Stroke Path. You can then choose the tool in question and it the tool will "run" along the path doing it's work. Of course, not as much control as doing by hand, BUT it's more consistent than doing it by hand, so.....

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

Reworking the map now, and have also done one of the region maps, hopefully my work is improving noticably
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southernreach.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	6739   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hanlon Mk2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	277.2 KB 
ID:	6740  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Coming along nicely, if I do say so myself.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Much improved, but looking a little dark.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Guild Journeyer

I am not happy with the contrast level on the sea, and I think to keep the bright areas sensible I have overly darkened the rest of it, however generally I do like my maps darker than most people seem to go for.

I think I will redo the sea layer though

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

They underestimate the powaaah of the dahk side. You will always have at least one fan here who loves the darker maps, rock on with yer bad self mi amigo.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234