Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favourite fantasy world?

I'll go with Malazan Book of the Fallen universe, by Steven Erikson and I.C. Esslemont, the only shoddy thing in that universe is the world map, since all those you can see are fan made, but the level of detail and "sense" it makes are incredible.
    Last edited by Harkon; 07-01-2017 at 03:14 AM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

What about all the maps in the Malazan books themselves? Those are professional maps, and they're all over the interwebs. These ones:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map_Chain_of_Dogs_1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	293.2 KB 
ID:	97112
    Last edited by Diamond; 06-30-2017 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    What about all the maps in the Malazan books themselves? Those are professional maps, and they're all over the interwebs. These ones:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map_Chain_of_Dogs_1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	293.2 KB 
ID:	97112
    The maps in there are fine, I'm talking about the WORLD map, of which an official version doesn't exist afaik.
    It's not that the fan made ones are bad, they're just unofficial.
    Last edited by Harkon; 07-01-2017 at 03:13 AM.

I don't really understand the maps in the books and how they relate at all to one another. Although there is less disassociation between the maps and the writing in their specific books than most other fiction books manage.

Default Your favourite fantasy world?

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I don't really understand the maps in the books and how they relate at all to one another. Although there is less disassociation between the maps and the writing in their specific books than most other fiction books manage.
    They usually don't relate to each other, as most books are set on different continents than the previous one, and the maps depict a continent at most. That's where a world map would come in handy but sadly only fan made ones exist, so no erikson feedback on that afaik :-/

I agree regarding discrepancies between maps/narration, you could actually follow the chain of dogs, or the malazan march in MoI chapter by chapter, which is kind of unusual.
    Last edited by Harkon; 07-01-2017 at 08:17 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Ah, sorry, I didn't read closely enough. Yeah, a world map would be helpful. I have a feeling one will never be released because Erikson doesn't understand himself how the various continents should sit relative to one another.

Somewhere dark and rather dangerous...and also inhabited by these confounded mosquitoes.

I've heard of that. What's Age of Sigmar?

Somewhere dark and rather dangerous...and also inhabited by these confounded mosquitoes.

Hands-down Middle Earth. I do wish Tolkien had crafted an entire continent, but others have done it. I also enjoy the Ranger's Apprentice series, so whatever that world is named.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mapmage View Post
    I've heard of that. What's Age of Sigmar?
    the 'new' warhammer aftr they nuked the old world. It's grown on me

Although there is only one (author admitted) poorly drawn map for one pair of stories in the setting, I would probably have to say Anne Bishop's Black Jewels setting is my favorite. Something about that setting and those stories really draws me in. Of course there is also The Land (Thomas Covenant series), Middle Earth, The Witched setting, and probably a dozen others that I can say are right up there among my favorites.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast