Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: On hadron colliders, dark matter and black holes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I, for one, always like to hear the news on what you guys are doing. Fascinating stuff.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I agree...even I don't understand the majority of it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Well, as always, feel free to ask questions about the bits that I don't explain properly and I'll try to be clearer.

Oh, here's the picture from the BBC of the damage at one of the magnet junctions:

Note that this should all be in a straight line for the particles to travel around the ring. That helium leak really made a mess.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

I'm curious, and maybe this was posted upthread and I missed it, what was your theory that may or may not be disproven based on whether or not ATIC had seen dark matter (and who is ATIC?)

Also, your previous post on the issue of why the earth won't be swallowed in a black hole made in the CERN labs is somewhat disappointing. Now we have to figure out how to spawn a post-apocalpytic setting all-over-again.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Well, as always, feel free to ask questions about the bits that I don't explain properly and I'll try to be clearer.

Oh, here's the picture from the BBC of the damage at one of the magnet junctions:

Note that this should all be in a straight line for the particles to travel around the ring. That helium leak really made a mess.

Heh... it's "accidents" like this that don't really engender feelings of confidence that this thing won't end up destroying the world.....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

@Karro I'm not sure there would be a lot of world left to be 'post-apocalyptic' if a black hole ate it. What we really need is a disaster that 'just' does serious damage to the planet, without destroying it and/or the accompanying universe.

The theory I work most with is called supersymmetry and it works really well if there are new particles and the lightest new particle is around 100 times heavier than the proton. This is within the reach of the LHC and they would be produced in the lab in numbers that could be measured. They should already be produced very rarely by the tevatron, but their event rates would be so low that they would never see them.

The lightest of these new particles is the dark matter candidate in these theories. Now dark matter is the most prevalent form of matter in our universe, and holds the galaxy together. It interacts very rarely. However, it is possible for one dark matter particle to annihilate with another dark matter particle. In this case you would get two high energy 'normal' particles out, like an electron and a positron. They would each have an energy equal to the mass of a dark matter particle. When the dark matter particles annihilate their mass goes to energy through E=mc^2, so we know the energy of the produced particles. A number of experiments have been looking for these high energy particles.

Now the experiment ATIC (Advanced Thin Ionization Calorimeter) and the PAMELA satellite both claimed to see high energy particles. To cut a long story short, ATIC saw electrons with an energy up to 1000 times the proton mass. Now, you'll see that's 10 times larger than the masses I would like to see. Not only that, but that would set the mass of the lightest new particle. All the other more exotic particles would be heavier. It would be very bad if this were the case. Thankfully the ATIC data seems likely to be disproved so I can breath a little easier and get back to analysing how supersymmetry would show up at the LHC.

@Joe I noticed the quotes around 'accident', which rather suggests you know it was something more than that. Come clean. I know you did it. If you come quietly, I promise to make it swift and painless. If the experimentalists get to you first I can't help you...

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Supersymmetry...

It sounds like beautiful math. Sadly, calculus and the accompanying calc-based physics is as high as I ever got in college on this stuff. I was smart enough to do very well there, but perceived myself to be a half-tic not-smart-enough to go any further down the path of SCIENCE. So I sold out... got a business degree instead. (What I really wanted to do was write )

Ah, but we fantasize, and a word like supersymmetry is just the sort of thing that sci-fi is made of! Beautiful, elegant, and I have no idea what it means.

Also... I suspect that Joe did what he did...

....with MIND BULLETS.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    @Joe I noticed the quotes around 'accident', which rather suggests you know it was something more than that. Come clean. I know you did it. If you come quietly, I promise to make it swift and painless. If the experimentalists get to you first I can't help you...
    I will quote from one of my all time favorite shows: Hogan's Heroes:

Sergeant Schultz : I know Nooothingg....
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Hmmmm....I had Joe pegged as working for the Dharma Initiative
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Hmmmm....I had Joe pegged as working for the Dharma Initiative
    Heh.. I was once known as Dr Marvin Candle....

That reminds me, I was watching the credits for Survivor last night and there was something one there at the end for something like :

Dharma Creative blah blah blah.....

I just found that rather ironic...
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast