Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooperative project revival

I've thought about moving the thread to the regional/ world mapping because it would be more appropriate since it's not the same project...

Anyway, I would like to know what kind of setting people prefer.

Fantasy with a lot of magic or little magic or none at all?
    Same physic laws ?
    What is the level of technology? it could be in the Ancient era, medieval, renaissance, industrial if we prefer some steampunk setting.
    Is there something that could make the world feel special and different from the others ?

Any preferences ?

Default Re: Cooperative project revival

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    I've thought about moving the thread to the regional/ world mapping because it would be more appropriate since it's not the same project...

Anyway, I would like to know what kind of setting people prefer.

Fantasy with a lot of magic or little magic or none at all?
    Same physic laws ?
    What is the level of technology? it could be in the Ancient era, medieval, renaissance, industrial if we prefer some steampunk setting.
    Is there something that could make the world feel special and different from the others ?

Any preferences ?
    I love the idea of a CWBP :-) and I'd like to join in, even though i'm merely a beginner in the world of cartography.

Personally, I would prefer a fantasy/medievalish type setting with maybe a little magic? But of course, that is a matter to be decided by everyone.

Also another factor that comes to mind. Races.
    What, who will the world be inhabited by?
    Different races living in different regions in the world?
    But that could prove to be complex depending on the amount of races.
    For example, languages, appearance, customs, history (?), etc..
    Or maybe just one race. (humanity?)
    Again, maybe a vote could decide?

I'm not really qualified to take that big of a role since I've only just begun experimenting with and developing my cartography skills :-D , but I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

Thanks,
    Kronus.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Well I suppose I could use polls but it's rather limited.

Guild Apprentice

The overall map looks good so far. I will be keeping an eye on this I am not too sure how the CWBP works because I am new to the site, but I'd love to help out if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by DearCyrus View Post
    The overall map looks good so far. I will be keeping an eye on this I am not too sure how the CWBP works because I am new to the site, but I'd love to help out if I can.
    Good to know. I'm also open to suggestions if others want to submit a map so we could have a couple of choices for a vote. It doesn't have to be made with Fractal terrain but the world map should be large enough.

That map looks alright although I'm personally having difficulty coming to terms with the projection, either that or I feel that the land mases should be more spread out. That said can some one break down what is happening at this point in the reopened project? What are the steps and what step are we on?

As far as I can reason the first step is deciding on the world map to use. This one looks good to me, is it the one we decided on or is it only an option with no others proposed?

The second step seems to be choosing the setting. We ought to just put up a poll for that maybe? Personally my preference is mid fantasy with elements of steampunk. I have a feeling most people would be interested in a setting that occurs before an equivalent modern historical period. We should probably determine what range that is. Maybe as a third step. Future setting may also provide more interest for those still around involved in the first one though, so bear that in mind.

The next step after that it would seem to me would be to figure out some general guidelines as to what is included in this world. Such as technologies (steampunk or not, or high magic or not, gunpowder etc.) and civilizations maybe (races)? This point may also already start to be to restrictive to potential mapmakers so we could, if we so desired leave all that up to the mapmakers as long as we stuck within a relative historical time period. Not sure that would work but it would be interesting at least.

I suggest we ought to set up separate threads for each of these steps as they come along. Starting with the world map thread. Maybe Community project 2.0? or whatever the title have an end tag 2.0 or redux or something in the subject tags for all of the new project threads so we can tell the difference between new and old threads.

Edit: I think Azelor, you ought to start the world map design thread since you've already taken up the gauntlet and made one, should anyone have any alternate proposals we'll put them in that thread with a two week time limit and if nothing is chosen before then go with what you have here as a defualt. Maybe put a pull in there to see if people agree with this plan or not and hash out the details after that?
    Last edited by Falconius; 11-14-2013 at 07:47 PM.

I have the original file in the equirectangular projection, wich is the defualt projection in fractal terrain. I made calculation and the land cover around 30 % of the surface, much like Earth. Hai-Etlik made the point that equirectangular is used a base projection but the final version should be made using Mercator. This being said, it's rather easy to move the continents using the granyscale map in photoshop. After that I will also need to put the rivers manually with photoshop.

The main thing to do, right now, is to decide of the world map. This map is the only one that was ever proposed on this project, so unless somenoe else post another map, it will be the chosen one.

As for the setting, it will depend. It might have an impact on mapping or not depending on the setting and personnal style of the artist.
    Last edited by Azélor; 11-15-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Yeah as I said its just me then. I agree, using a Mercator projection only really matters for the final plot map since it seems easier for you to work in this one for construction. You may also choose to put in lat and long lines overlay for the final (just steal Earth's). I noticed in the last project they split the map up into a grid and parceled off plots like that, this makes sense to a certain extent personally though I'd prefer a more fluid or general area assignment. If we had a grid (our lat and long) then we could just say I'm going to map the area 200 kms around point x,x or I'm going to map the area between x,x and x,x, the only issue would be to make sure the areas choosen by the first mappers are far enough apart not to overlap, after those get going we can overlap to existing maps.

Shall I get the world map thread started? We really need a tag for our new project's threads. 2.0 works for me though it is really blasé. Example subject line: "Co-op Overall World Map Finalization, 2.0" Ug 2.0 is terrible. We need something more search friendly anyways...

Just letting you know you guys have my support, and I'll help whenever I can

I think that seperating the map in squares is the most practical way to go. Policital divisions would be more logical maybe but they would be harder to put togheter.

I'll make some order in my things while I make a mercator version of the map (with rivers ideally) and try to find a good title.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast