Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: WIP the heptarchy of Seferedh

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Thanks much Arsheesh

Another great map from Max! Really nice!
    "That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic." /Diamond

Thank you Obbehobbe Here's the southern part will all the labels done (except the special locations ones that I still have to do). I guess I will go with main rivers labels aswell on the map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sephered6.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	57705
    Last edited by - Max -; 09-13-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

Damn Max, i am starting to hate you. The keys are so simple and fits perfect with the map color scheme, "Brilliant!" . The political borders are amazing too ( felling a bit frustrated after see i am trying use in other 2 old maps).

Posts ago one brother asked about the mountains, if you dont mind i asking, i dont think the secret isnt when you draw the mountains, but the touch when you set it in the map. Just want to know, what you use to define the mountains/ trees positions, like your rivers, giving a isometric perception.

Thanks buddy! Not sure to understand you well though, if by keys you mean the cities icons, they were drawn based on some old 17th century style cartography (like the one you can find here ). Since I have some green tones in the background texture, in the waterlines and rivers, the red icons works pretty well because of the complementary colors contrast.
    I don't use anything in particular to draw mountains/rivers, just do it the way I feel. Sorry but I can give a better explanation :/ I usually start to build the mountains ranges, then draw riversn then put forests.

Hot damn! Just beautiful and inspiring.

Thanks Ukie Labeled rivers, seas and little special locations insets. Should be done soon.

Did you use a brush set for mountains? I'm inspired to make a map with that style. looks awesome once again!

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Thanks Caenwyr! Argh seems that I'm on heavy fire to make a tutorial or giving tips Alright here we go for the mountains : Those are hand-drawn with a graphic tablet (but in this style there's not that much tablet function used - just a very small controle pressure that's it, so that can be easily done by hand then scanned). Here's a quick one.

First draw a simple outline (here I used a small grungy round brush - no need to be too neat and clean for the style, that is intended to emulate some old 17th century style cartography mountains):

Attachment 57601

Then add "shadows" by simple curved hatching and a few dots:

Attachment 57603

Then add a bit of noise:
    Attachment 57604

Once scaled down and put on a background with a dark brownish color you're done
    Attachment 57605

Oh wait, now you just need to draw dozens more mountains You can draw them all on the map or if you want to re-use them on some other projects, turn them into brushes. Here I use them as brushes. Basically I draw the mountains, keep a few individual ones and build up some ranges (horizontal, vertical, diagonal ones, in short/medium/long sizes) and build up the final ranges on the map with them.

Hope that helps
    Hey Ukie, this quote probably answers your question

Sweet, thanks a bunch

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast