The sci-fi product is called Cosmographer, and it is an add-on to Campaign Cartographer.

CC is a CAD-type program, and as such it has a different sort of paradigm than other graphics software. Some people find it much more comfortable, but others have a hard time with it.

I'll renew my suggestion of Inkscape, though, since it's free and is capable of those razor-sharp lines that make sci-fi deck plans so appealing. And it has the similar advantage of Campaign Cartographer in that you can create an object once then simply clone it elsewhere. My deckplans are fairly low-detail, but I use this approach (in Illustrator, but it works the same in Inkscape) for them. The workflow could easily be used for a high-detail, full color plan.

Here's an example:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=24828

I usually start with a template document where I have all of the symbols and objects already present and organized. When I need one, I just copy it from the template layer into a working layer. I keep all of the objects as vector objects that I can manipulate individually so I can reshape them if they need to butt up against something irregular in shape.