Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Requesting a map? Please read me.

There was a thread discussing this recently, though I'm not sure if it entirely answers your questions. Still worth a browse, though.

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=35080
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

atm id be happy if I could make 1500 pounds a month doing art and maps.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

I'd rather get paid in dollars, the pound is now worthless in our banana republic!

The basic formula is: My desired hourly rate / working hours in the year * hours this will take + cost of my materials

Personally, I prefer not to work for any less than I'd get working for The Man, so my desired rate is at least $40/hour, which is why I don't generally do freelance cartography!

There are some other considerations that go in there: How much does my software and computer cost? How much time do I spend using them for business vs pleasure? Do I really expect to work 2000 hours in the year? If not, I should raise the rate to account for a lower number of billable hours.

If you're not a full-time freelancer, value your free time honestly. Ask yourself this question: How much would I have to get paid in order to willingly give up this time to an employer?

If you decide to work for less than what you'd really like to earn, for whatever reason, spin it as a discount and put it on your invoice that way.

Generally people don't like to disclose their rates in order to prevent the "race to the bottom" that happens when artists try to low-ball. My opinion is that the secrecy has the opposite effect, particularly in a community that is composed primarily of amateurs and people just starting out—we tend to undervalue our own time and underestimate the effort required to get to a finished product. Anyway, discussion of price and rates is usually held privately rather than in the request threads.
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 10-16-2016 at 11:27 AM. Reason: typo
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

If you're not a full-time freelancer, value you free time honestly. Ask yourself this question: How much would I have to get paid in order to willingly give up this time to an employer?
    That's a rather sensible approach. I generally try to structure my rates along an hourly estimate, ie. a map of that type, size and level of detail tends to take me X hours times Y EUROs. Now, I'm flexible here, and getting money for drawing a map is naturally better than not getting paid money, but there's a certain level that I won't undercut. I'd rather work on my own projects then. If I do that Long enough I can hone my skills and make money that way as well. *shrugs*

Great thread, thank you.

Default Thanks

Very helpful. Thanks for this.

Post Thanks!

Thank you so much for this post, and this corner of the internet. I have been looking for artistic help with my campaign for a while!

Very good explenation! helped me out alot!

Thank you for the outline to use

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast