Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP - (ambitious) World Map of fictious earth-like planet

Indeed it does.

You wondered in another thread "how long how many of us will keep digging for greater realism...", I think it's clear that of all of us I'll be the first to give up, since I'm the one more limited to understand the complexity of tectonics and apply them to a fictional map, in fact, I've already given up on worrying about how projection affects the type of boundaries. But no shame, I do what I'm able to and that's just fine, after all it's just a hobby for me, not a job.

Same to the rest of you, some will be able to take it more far than others when it comes to realism, but we are only human and our beloved planet is very complex to understand and even more to reproduce it's rules on a different world. What really matters in the end is that we have fun working on our projects and I personally will be very happy to one day see them finished, because they feel like "family" to mine.

Sorry for the little rant that really doesn't bring anything useful to the discussion.

Sorry for barging into this thread, but I just wanted to say that there's indeed no shame involved if you don't want to make your project "picture perfect". Like you, I'm an amateur too and my project is also a hobby. And apart from the joy of creating a fictitious new world, the aspect I enjoy the most is the process of learning and discovering all these fascinating things about tectonics, ocean currents, wind patterns, and what not. I would never have learned so much about these interesting things if it wasn't for this forum and its helpful members (not in the least by Pixie!). I think that if your project is a hobby, it should be enjoyable and not give you a headache. If your project evolves and ends up the way you want, it does so the way it should.

Just my two cents of thought...

Cheers - Akubra
    Last edited by Akubra; 05-30-2014 at 02:40 PM.

I second that Akubra.

But the thing is... groovey, our historian with little science background, ACTUALLY GOT IT near-perfect!

Also, the thing with dwelling this deep into the background business of a made-up-world only draws us closer to that particular setting. That's why every now and then someone pops up at this forum telling about their boyhood world.

Update... I haven't yet worked out all the greasy-ugly corners, and I'm sure by progess will be slow in upcoming weeks but here's how my "revised" tectonics map looks like at the moment:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip_tectonicsstudy_02.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	732.8 KB 
ID:	64651

I'm fighting hard to keep as much as possible the original land forms. Still, there will have to be some changes, including in the elevation map already done for Palamb (the penguin continent).

From my simplified tectonics way at the start of the thread, there are major changes:
    - there's a sea closing at the NW side of the map - I stripped it from having an active ridge
    - main eastern continent is composed of three plates, instead of two - I had originally planned for them to be "sutured", and no longer moving separately
    - the huge central continent (Acur / Acuran) plate is no longer a single plate and I reversed its movement.
    - east of that continent there was a closing ocean (no ridge) - now it's opening still as it a divergent boundary in the middle.
    - the NW "squared" land isn't a single plate anymore but a rifting apart piece.

a WIP, yet...
    Last edited by Pixie; 06-02-2014 at 02:28 PM.

Wow, lots of changes since the last update, and you have a lot of plates right now, that should spice things up.

Such a shame you are going to have to re-do some of Palamb's elevation work, just from following your updates on the thread it looked like a lot of work, but in the end you found a faster way to so it, didn't you?

You'll have a ring of fire too, wouldn't you, on the ocean connecting both sides of the map?

Impressive map, Pixie!

I do like the level of detail you have incorporated: you have some very tiny plates in between the bigger ones.
    Those continental shelves are also tasteful and elegantly draped around the shorelines.
    Changes - even considerable changes - are certainly an important part of creating a world like this. Everything is connected: like breaking up plates means redoing an elevation map. It's probably inevitable. But if you enjoy the process and it leads to a better result it's not that bad, is it? I'm looking forward to seeing how the new height map of Palamb will shape up.

Cheers - Akubra

Thanks for the praise, fellow world-builders

I am enjoying watching all our "sister" earths revealing themselves. I really think we are doing well in motivating each other, hurray for us all!

@groovey - yes, I'll have a sort of ring of fire, but interrupted. And a "crown of fire" around the northwest side of the Acur (the central continent).
    Last edited by Pixie; 06-03-2014 at 07:25 PM.

Update. I think I have a full working model now, and will settle for this apart local adjustments on boundaries. This thing has 36 plates, Earth has over 50.. but I'm happy and it seems balanced to my eyes.

Having worked it with this depth has given me a lot of special places which I am excited to work on now.
    For example, the (newly created) large peninsula on the NW; the complex rift + highland in the large middle continent (where I'm considering adding a micro-plate); etc.

current state of affairs:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	for_gearth.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	514.7 KB 
ID:	64739

This image file looks great superimposed on the globe of google earth, and I found that that is also a nice easy way to visualize plates at the right angle (well, at "any" angle, actually).

So, please, if you spot any inconsistencies or if you have any good ideas about some area/plate, please share. I'm open to suggestions.

Pixie, I'm jealous now! Your map looks amazing! Plates, continents, islands, it all looks so well balanced. I am really looking forward to see your next steps. As you say, there are enough interesting areas to work on. And I have to admit, your map almost pushes me back to my own tectonic drawing board to add some microplates here and there (which I deliberately left out for the time being). This is absolutely great work!

Some ideas:
    • The size, shape and latitude of the long island smack in the middle of the map makes me think of Sumatra (assuming your planet is comparable in size to Earth). It looks like it is formed by the subduction zone to its south, and you could give it plenty of volcanoes.
    • The new peninsula on the western continent looks a bit like an upturned Kamchatka, but lying more to the south. Surrounded by different plate boundaries at close range I imagine it being very active too, but in a milder climate.
    • I'm wondering what forces that small plate in the northeast of Palamb (lying completely within the continent) will unleash in that area.

Cheers - Akubra
    Last edited by Akubra; 06-06-2014 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Added some ideas

I'm jealous too.

I love the complexity of the map, it adds a lot of realism, and it's not even finished!
    Last edited by groovey; 06-07-2014 at 04:51 AM.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast