Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Online Book: The Division of Territory in Society

Blog Entries

I thought my wife was pretty nerdy but I don't think it would extend to understanding aliasing effects on voronoi patterns You must have some interesting discussions.

From looking at the web for pics I came across some text which I think explains it. The text said that it was modeled on bubbles which forms natural voronoi patterns. I knew about the bubbles bit but never made that connection in my head. I just thought the building looked fabulous !

Incidentally I saw on telly a little model of the UK made out of two plates of perspex or something like that with pins where big cities were and you could dip it in bubble liquid and it made an almost perfect representation of the motorway road network of the UK out of the bubble interfaces. Perhaps I am easily pleased !

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Incidentally I saw on telly a little model of the UK made out of two plates of perspex or something like that with pins where big cities were and you could dip it in bubble liquid and it made an almost perfect representation of the motorway road network of the UK out of the bubble interfaces. Perhaps I am easily pleased !
    It's a classic technique for energy-minimization problems like the traveling salesman problem. You get myriad quantum computers working hard on the problem to provide you with a minimum-size surface in just a fraction of a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I thought my wife was pretty nerdy but I don't think it would extend to understanding aliasing effects on voronoi patterns You must have some interesting discussions.
    My wife's response was to look at me as if I had sprouted a weasel from my forehead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12