Page 17 of 61 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: The Köppen–Geiger climate classification made simpler (I hope so)

Yes I did look at the precipitation maps and they looked acceptable but it wasn't a throughout analysis.

The final map look fine.

hey, sorry that im bringing another sleeping thread back from the dead but azelor i applied your guide to the example images you put at the end of your guides for temperature and precipitation and i made a full koppen-geiger climate map from it. used the classic koppen-geiger color scheme so it could be conspired to other koppen maps of the world. i would like you to look at it and compare it to the koppen-geiger map on the following website and tell me what you think. if your still interested in this guide project you've made i hope this helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	azelor climate world map.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	491.8 KB 
ID:	92992

http://hanschen.org/koppen/img/koppen_all_1901-2010.png

Quote Originally Posted by arch-fiend View Post
    hey, sorry that im bringing another sleeping thread back from the dead but azelor i applied your guide to the example images you put at the end of your guides for temperature and precipitation and i made a full koppen-geiger climate map from it. used the classic koppen-geiger color scheme so it could be conspired to other koppen maps of the world. i would like you to look at it and compare it to the koppen-geiger map on the following website and tell me what you think. if your still interested in this guide project you've made i hope this helps.

Views:	141 
Size:	491.8 KB 
ID:	92992

http://hanschen.org/koppen/img/koppen_all_1901-2010.png
    I think you made some mistakes in the implementation. Northern India, for example, definitely wouldn't have a Cs (dry summer, rainy winter) climate if using Azelor's precipitation maps (it's basically all category 0 in winter)! Or there may be some flaw in the script (perhaps some combinations are accidentally miscategorized?), if that's what you used.

Edit:
    Actually, I'm pretty sure the implementation here is somewhat messed up. In your map most of eastern Asia is also "Summer dry", even though they're all category 0 in winter (the driest possible) in Azelor's precipitation maps. It seems that all "winter dry" categories outside the tropics have been miscategorized as "summer dry".
    Last edited by Charerg; 02-27-2017 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
    I think you made some mistakes in the implementation. Northern India, for example, definitely wouldn't have a Cs (dry summer, rainy winter) climate if using Azelor's precipitation maps (it's basically all category 0 in winter)! Or there may be some flaw in the script (perhaps some combinations are accidentally miscategorized?), if that's what you used.

Edit:
    Actually, I'm pretty sure the implementation here is somewhat messed up. In your map most of eastern Asia is also "Summer dry", even though they're all category 0 in winter (the driest possible) in Azelor's precipitation maps. It seems that all "winter dry" categories outside the tropics have been miscategorized as "summer dry".
    woops, i figured out what happened. i had accidentally painted my summer and winter precipitations backwards. making summer blue and winter red. when i have the fixed map done ill edit it into this post.

edit:
    yeah this looks a lot better. it looks like most other koppen maps now though i do see some issue areas like northern australia, the hot steppes of southern central india, south africa, south russia and mongolia, and north east europe at a glance.

Views:	200 
Size:	540.2 KB 
ID:	93027
    Last edited by arch-fiend; 02-27-2017 at 01:48 PM.

It look pretty good that way. One thing I need to mention is that I based myself with the Earth map on the first place so it's supposed to look almost identical. You just did it backward.

Quote Originally Posted by arch-fiend View Post
    woops, i figured out what happened. i had accidentally painted my summer and winter precipitations backwards. making summer blue and winter red. when i have the fixed map done ill edit it into this post.

edit:
    yeah this looks a lot better. it looks like most other koppen maps now though i do see some issue areas like northern australia, the hot steppes of southern central india, south africa, south russia and mongolia, and north east europe at a glance.

Views:	200 
Size:	540.2 KB 
ID:	93027
    Yeah, the steppes need to be added in manually, pretty much. It's probably a result of using just 6 levels of precipitation in the "base data" used to generate the climates. If you wanted to increase the accuracy, it could be an option to examine the possibility of using 10 precipitation layers, for example, and see if more accurate results can be achieved that way. Of course that would also ramp up the possible combinations from the present (3600 if I'm doing my maths right) by quite a lot (to 10 000 if you ramp the precipitation layers up to 10).

Guild Novice

Hey,

I tried to apply your guide to my first map as well, but I think I am not very good with anything about wind and pressure systems. Would one of you (your work looks really awesome) maybe have a look at my different maps to tell me, where I'd have to adjust them?

Thanks in advance and kind regards

Quote Originally Posted by Shaetano View Post
    Hey,

I tried to apply your guide to my first map as well, but I think I am not very good with anything about wind and pressure systems. Would one of you (your work looks really awesome) maybe have a look at my different maps to tell me, where I'd have to adjust them?

Thanks in advance and kind regards
    Well, we can certainly take a look at them, but you'd have to post them first (either in this thread, or in your own WIP thread)!

Guild Novice

Hey! Thats really nice of you. I'll just add what I have to this post. Maybe I'll open a own thread once I am a bit more satisfied with my work..

My planet should be pretty earthlike, maybe somewhat bigger, but I don't want to change the stuff around climates too much. I have a hard time understanding everything like it is in guides for our world, let alone planets with sizez affecting it much more.. ^^

All pictures are a robinson projection. I know it isn't the best, but I had it before really started to reading the guides and just kept it for now.

Just a rough Heightmap with a draft of the currents.

Name:	height&currents.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	372.7 KB 
ID:	93418

Pressuresystems & winds January

Name:	pressures&wind_january.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	434.5 KB 
ID:	93419

Pressuresystems & winds July

Name:	pressures&wind_july.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	423.9 KB 
ID:	93420

Climate for January

Name:	climate_january.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	238.8 KB 
ID:	93421

Climate for July

Name:	climate_july.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	236.4 KB 
ID:	93422

Well, you're right that the Robinson projection probably isn't ideal. Tbh, I'd recommend you to make an Equirectangular projection, because you're probably going to need it (it's easy to change an Equirectangular projection into another projection, but not vice versa). Also, the resolution is very low (1000x500 is very low res for a world map, you should ramp it up to 4000x2000 or something).

Anyway, here is the basic oceanic circulation:

Name:	Currents.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	297.7 KB 
ID:	93441

For the most part it's similar to your version. The major addition is the Equatorial Countercurrents. Also, the southern pole shouldn't have a westerly flowing current (the winds there are the polar easterlies, resulting in easterly flowing currents). One area which is somewhat subjective is the narrow north-south oriented sea in the northeast corner of the map. I chose to essentially implement the circulation there as two separate gyres, but this is a little subjective. Areas like this are always very tricky, since no similar situation exists on Earth.

Next up, the location of the oceanic low and high pressure centers (semi-permanent, the exact location does fluctuate a little seasonally):

Name:	Currents_and_Pressures.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	305.9 KB 
ID:	93442

This should demonstrate the relationship between the oceanic and atmospheric circulations. It should be noted that I've omitted the ITCZ here.

Then, the pressures by themselves, and pressures with the dominant winds:

Name:	Pressures.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	244.8 KB 
ID:	93443

Name:	Pressures_and_Winds.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	307.3 KB 
ID:	93444

Once again, the major caveat is that the ITCZ has been left out (it's simply assumed to be a continuous low pressure belt at the equator, in reality the location varies seasonally), and there is some seasonal fluctuation in the exact placement of the pressure centers. One major phenomenon to point out is that the location of the high pressure centers on the eastern margins of the oceans means that the the opposite shore of the oceans (the eastern coasts of continents) are hit by cyclones, and in general receive much more rain than the western coasts in tropical latitudes.

Also, I should note that I didn't include any continental pressure centers. Imo they're not strictly necessary, and it's often easier to get a good picture of what the global circulation looks like by leaving the continental centers out. Outside of the ITCZ, the only continental pressure centers that have a major effect occur if you have a situation like Asia, and you have a strong Monsoon effect. It's up to you if you want to include that, but imo it's a perfectly valid option to just roll with the basic circulation.
    Last edited by Charerg; 03-08-2017 at 10:20 AM.

Page 17 of 61 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast