Page 53 of 60 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: The Köppen–Geiger climate classification made simpler (I hope so)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi!
    I try to answer some, mind i'm not an expert, i just pass the tutorial as you're doing!
    I have made some small correction in your currents, these are mine opinions, not scientific corrections, so wait for the answer of someone more expert XD
    Just a thing: in your projection you cut some latitude? If not, mind that the north pole is actually a point, not a line, so the mountains should be line as well.
    I think the excange of water is fine, it could occour with a deep ocean current that isn't interesting for the climate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Edrafoa_Klima_currents mod.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	124168

Guild Apprentice

Also, I ran the script! This is what I got:

Name:	Tamanak Climate Map.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	124171

There are some wonky climate zones there, which I figure I should smooth out manually.

I can't figure out which colors correspond to which climate zones. The chart Azelor put on the main post doesn't seem to correspond to what I have--could someone please let me know what I'm missing?

Guild Apprentice

Speaking of invalid color values, I just ran through this tutorial and encountered the paintbrush-mixed-colors-problem. To solve this, I wrote a python script to correct all non-standard (standard as defined by the script's input) color pixels in an input image to the nearest standard color. This script worked pretty well for me, and I figure I'm not the only one who's encountered this problem; @AzureWings do you think it would be worthy of inclusion on the speculative-koppen GitHub?

Not an expert here by any stretch of the imagination, but those big regions of BWh over the equator seem a bit suspect, unless there's something quite different about this planet compared to earth. That's typically where'd you'd expect rain forest, not desert.

Guild Apprentice

Exactly! I think I screwed up my precipitation maps. (Btw, all orbital characteristics are the same as earth; no major differences there)

These are my ocean currents:

Name:	topo_currents.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	274.6 KB 
ID:	124174

Jan winds & pressure zones (red = high pressure, green = low pressure):

Name:	jan_winds_pressure.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	654.5 KB 
ID:	124175

Jan precipitation:

Name:	jan_prec.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	124176

Jul winds & pressure zones:

Name:	jul_winds_pressure.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	640.7 KB 
ID:	124177

Jul precipitation:

Name:	jul_prec.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	124178

Maybe I overstated the effect of the July high-pressure zone on the big continent (Rarenarena)? I'd really appreciate any advice!

Hi CTA, as i said before i'm not an expert; but i can say:
    - I would have drawn currents a bit differently, but that's a minor
    - high and low pressure zones are correctly placed, just a bit too big, in my opinion: i think your continents are rather small-ish to have big continental effects (they are thin, there is not a huge mass of ground far from sea)
    - precipitation would be definitely higher near the equator, all year long, especially in the leftmost and center-right continents. I think you can add really a lot of rain there ^^ we expext a low pressure zone almost all year long

Those are only opinions, i still struggling to balance my map, so let's ear someone else!

Guild Apprentice

@Michil il Disperso: Sounds good, I'll make those changes! Question about the ICTZ: should I expand it so it covers the equator or should I just widen its impact (winds, precipitation, etc)? I'm leaning towards the latter given the advice in Azelor's tutorial and the climate cookbook.

I tend to go pretty wide and with very very intense rainfall in the ICTZ, lowering the intensity on the edge. I submit the one i do for my world. Again, i think there is much guess in this exercise ^^

Name:	GenPrec.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	124206

Name:	JulPrec.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	124207

Guild Apprentice

Alright, how about these?
    New jan precipitation map:

Name:	jan_prec.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	124216
    New july precipitation map:

Name:	jul_prec.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	124217
    New climate zones:

Name:	climate_map.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	124218

For this one, I made the assumption that winds blowing from hot current onto land would create precipitation, even if they were coming from a high-pressure zone, but idk if that's valid. I also expanded the effects of the ITCZ over the equator, though i didn't expand the zone much itself.

@Michi il Disperso: Thanks, I will try to implement your changes and see what happens.

Page 53 of 60 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657 ... LastLast