Page 54 of 61 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: The Köppen–Geiger climate classification made simpler (I hope so)

Guild Apprentice

Also, I ran the script! This is what I got:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tamanak Climate Map.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	124171

There are some wonky climate zones there, which I figure I should smooth out manually.

I can't figure out which colors correspond to which climate zones. The chart Azelor put on the main post doesn't seem to correspond to what I have--could someone please let me know what I'm missing?

Guild Apprentice

I'm hoping there aren't any deeper inconsistencies--my precipitation maps seemed a bit sparse to me and now my world is pretty desert-heavy. Does it look implausible?

Not an expert here by any stretch of the imagination, but those big regions of BWh over the equator seem a bit suspect, unless there's something quite different about this planet compared to earth. That's typically where'd you'd expect rain forest, not desert.

Guild Apprentice

Exactly! I think I screwed up my precipitation maps. (Btw, all orbital characteristics are the same as earth; no major differences there)

These are my ocean currents:

Name:	topo_currents.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	274.6 KB 
ID:	124174

Jan winds & pressure zones (red = high pressure, green = low pressure):

Name:	jan_winds_pressure.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	654.5 KB 
ID:	124175

Jan precipitation:

Name:	jan_prec.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	124176

Jul winds & pressure zones:

Name:	jul_winds_pressure.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	640.7 KB 
ID:	124177

Jul precipitation:

Name:	jul_prec.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	124178

Maybe I overstated the effect of the July high-pressure zone on the big continent (Rarenarena)? I'd really appreciate any advice!

@Michi il Disperso: Thanks, I will try to implement your changes and see what happens.

Hi CTA, as i said before i'm not an expert; but i can say:
    - I would have drawn currents a bit differently, but that's a minor
    - high and low pressure zones are correctly placed, just a bit too big, in my opinion: i think your continents are rather small-ish to have big continental effects (they are thin, there is not a huge mass of ground far from sea)
    - precipitation would be definitely higher near the equator, all year long, especially in the leftmost and center-right continents. I think you can add really a lot of rain there ^^ we expext a low pressure zone almost all year long

Those are only opinions, i still struggling to balance my map, so let's ear someone else!

Quote Originally Posted by CTA
    There are some wonky climate zones there, which I figure I should smooth out manually.

I can't figure out which colors correspond to which climate zones. The chart Azelor put on the main post doesn't seem to correspond to what I have--could someone please let me know what I'm missing?
    I agree with MrBragg and Michi il Disperso that the equatorial aridity is suspect, since land directly on the equator should be getting hit by the ITCZ for at least part of the year and thus get a lot of precipitation, barring some extreme mountains causing a powerful rain shadow (and even then the windward side of those mountains would still probably be very wet).

To find out what climates colors correspond to, you can peek at the table ("kColorTableDefault") in the script (or look at the "defaultOutputProfile" color profile, which replicates the climate category colors the script defaults to) for a mapping from RGB to Köppen category.

Regarding the pixel cleanup script, what sort of results are you getting from it? I experimented with a similar feature that I called a "fuzzy" mode for the script itself but kept getting "hot pixels" where a gradientized/antialiased border between two regions was resulting in isolated pixels getting assigned colors that were neither of the two bordering categories. Regarding adding the script to the repository, I've sent you a PM with a few questions pertaining to that.
    Last edited by AzureWings; 07-31-2020 at 02:57 PM.

Guild Apprentice

I'm getting exactly the results I want--as far as I can tell, every erroneous pixel is changed to the value of its nearest neighbor.
    This is my jan temp map before running the script:

Name:	jan_temp_uncorrected.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	124204
    And this is my jan temp map after running the script:

Name:	jan_temp.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	124205

(you have to zoom in on the borders to see the difference)
    The only problem I encountered was that certain pixels were corrected to ocean in some maps and corrected to a prec/temp zone in others. To solve this, I wrote another short script that goes through all 4 images and converts those pixels to ocean.

Guild Apprentice

@Michil il Disperso: Sounds good, I'll make those changes! Question about the ICTZ: should I expand it so it covers the equator or should I just widen its impact (winds, precipitation, etc)? I'm leaning towards the latter given the advice in Azelor's tutorial and the climate cookbook.

I tend to go pretty wide and with very very intense rainfall in the ICTZ, lowering the intensity on the edge. I submit the one i do for my world. Again, i think there is much guess in this exercise ^^

Name:	GenPrec.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	124206

Name:	JulPrec.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	124207

Page 54 of 61 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758 ... LastLast