Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 LastLast

Thread: The Köppen–Geiger climate classification made simpler (I hope so)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Foreman View Post
    Ah, maybe I'm misunderstanding what this plugin is actually meant to be accomplishing. I thought it would take a fictional world map I've made and determine Koppen climate zones. But based on the WorldClim's 1970-2000 dataset inputs you've got there, I'm guessing the colors are driving the data for your plugin? And I don't know how to generate those colors on my fictional planet except by vague, under-educated guesses. Do you know of any resources to help me with that part that must come before using your plugin?
    Yes, namely this tutorial. The first post on the first page has links to all the different sections (figuring out oceanic currents, wind patterns, temperatures and precipitations for a fictional world). Only the last part (generating the climates) is automated .

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
    Only the last part (generating the climates) is automated .
    I see. THanks for clarifying. And if you're taking requests.... make a Python script that does all that other stuff too!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Foreman View Post
    I see. THanks for clarifying. And if you're taking requests.... make a Python script that does all that other stuff too!
    There have been some efforts along those lines, mostly from AzureWings. But that's a much greater undertaking than just taking in the temp and precip data and churning out the climates. Myself, I haven't made any serious attemps at creating a script that could arrive at a plausible temperature or precipitation map from just a land-ocean map as input (or even a DEM). But considering that you'd essentially have to create a simplified climate simulator, more-or-less, with maybe some user-fed parameters (like how warm the planet is relative to Earth), the processing time could become an issue pretty quickly (even my most recent script takes quite long to go through a map).

This tutorial has been super helpful, but after working through it I had a question about some of the example maps of earth that are presented.

For the southern summer, the example map shows the southern Andes preventing moisture from the westerlies from reaching central / eastern Patagonia, which seems all well and good. For the northern summer, though, the corresponding map for North America shows the precipitation extending across all of the continent, despite similar latitudes and the coastal ranges / Rocky Mountains being just as high in altitude as the southern Andes. I was wondering if there was some reasoning behind these differences in behavior, or if I'm missing something else?

Actually I'd say the southern Andes having such a drastic effect is the abnormal case here. Normally you'd expect cyclonic rainfall to not be so heavily affected. It's maybe a slight error in perception to view the regions that are affected by the westerlies as being constantly swept with moisture-laden westerly winds. In reality they are a belt of localised low pressure centers that circle the globe on a west-to-east vector (more-or-less), so the winds tend to be predominantly westerly when viewed globally, but not necessarily locally.

I suspect Patagonia has an unusual local wind pattern which for some reason favours constant westerly winds, though admittedly this is just a guess on my part.

Picturing things like that makes a lot of sense and actually helps clarify some other questions I had. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
    Actually I'd say the southern Andes having such a drastic effect is the abnormal case here. Normally you'd expect cyclonic rainfall to not be so heavily affected. It's maybe a slight error in perception to view the regions that are affected by the westerlies as being constantly swept with moisture-laden westerly winds. In reality they are a belt of localised low pressure centers that circle the globe on a west-to-east vector (more-or-less), so the winds tend to be predominantly westerly when viewed globally, but not necessarily locally.

I suspect Patagonia has an unusual local wind pattern which for some reason favours constant westerly winds, though admittedly this is just a guess on my part.
    South America is rather narrow at the southern end. That there is not much in the way of terrain features in the area may reduce some of the variation in wind patterns compared to wider continental areas with a variety of terrains over larger expanses? There is also very little land that far south globally. Air can pretty much just keep circling the globe without hitting much of anything until it reaches the Andes.

Hey all

After further tinkering with my world to be, I once again request your criticism of my mapped currents.
    I am most unsure about the ocean between the southern continents and the north-eastern coast of the north-eastern continent.
    Thank you in advance.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Edrafoa_currents_1.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	408.2 KB 
ID:	125428

Why does Asia not get rains from the extratropical storm path? Or Africa and Australia, for that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
    Why does Asia not get rains from the extratropical storm path? Or Africa and Australia, for that matter?
    Erm, they do get rains? It's just that for some reason the guide puts the Australian extratropical cyclone rains under the westerlies, and the Asian and African ones under "winter monsoon" (and partially under the westerlies as well).

Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 LastLast