Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: The Köppen–Geiger climate classification made simpler (I hope so)

Step 5 Temperatures

Temperature categories are loosely based of the Thewartha system
    Monthly mean temperatures of each categories

Attachment 79531

Dark magenta - Severely hot: over 35°C
    Red – Very hot: 28 to 35°C
    Dark orange – Hot: 22 to 28°C
    Orange – Warm: 18 to 22°C
    Peach – Mild: 10 to 18°C
    Yellow – Cool: 0 to 10°C
    Green – Cold -10 to 0°C
    Turquoise – Very cold -25 to -10°C
    Blue – Severely cold: -38 to -25°C
    Violet – Deadly cold: under -38°C

5.1 Zone of temperature (also called influence):

We separate the world into several zones to make the distribution of temperature according to the influence each region is subject to.

The different zones are:
    Hot current (red) : areas affected by winds blowing from a hot current. Hot current have no impact in summer since the land is hotter than the water and it’s considered normal instead.
    Also, they have no impact between the tropics either.

Mild current (green): Includes
    Mid latitude currents that have cooled, as a transition from hot to cold.
    Where cold and hot currents meet. Usually around 40-45 degrees or elsewhere like South Africa.

Cold current (blue): These are the coldest currents. They make the land colder compared to other locations at the same latitude.
    Normal: the default temperature at a given latitude.
    Continental: Occur on large landmasses, under high pressure systems in winter but under low pressure systems in summer.
    Stronger
    in the center or the eastern side of the continents if the winds have been blowing overland for a long time.
    Areas trapped in a sea of ice like the Canadian and Russian Arctic are also considered continental: ice limits the heat exchange and reflect light back to space.

Continental plus:
    Is an extreme version of the above. It requires larger landmasses. The only known case is Central Asia in summer.

January

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jan influence.png 
Views:	1414 
Size:	986.7 KB 
ID:	77057

July

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jul influence.png 
Views:	1186 
Size:	968.2 KB 
ID:	77058
    Last edited by Azélor; 07-01-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Honestly all your work is making me want to go back and redo my climate map with your guide to get everything just perfect. I may do anyway just to get a very detailed climate map, when i have time, probably tomorrow. Keep up the good work, between you and Pixie I think the forum will have two great tools to make extremely realistic, detailed maps.

I still didn't understand how temperature is supposed to be worked out. I think we need clearer guidelines, although I understand that you are trying to make the tutorial less "strict" in guidelines than it was before.

In terms of continental influence, one should lower the temperature level/color, right - one step for continental, two steps for continental plus.
    But before this, how does one decide what is the level for each area? This isn't clear.

But before this, how does one decide what is the level for each area? This isn't clear.

I based my "model" on pure observations.
    Take an example, the border between the color yellow and green on that map http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...7&d=1440511271
    The 0°C isotherm is located roughly at 35°N is Asia and North America. But much further north in Europe and on the American west coast. Thus these area have different influences (ALSO CALLED TEMPERATURE CATEGORIES), the first two are continental, and the others are oceanic.

I am aware that my method feels clumsy (clumsy for lack of a better word).
    But it's the best i manage to get.
    The ideal solution would involve mathematic algorithms, like that maybe : http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...t=26931&page=2
    Last edited by Azélor; 10-24-2015 at 12:35 AM.

Blog Entries

I still didn't understand how temperature is supposed to be worked out. I think we need clearer guidelines, although I understand that you are trying to make the tutorial less "strict" in guidelines than it was before.

the problem with local area temperatures
    is the SYSTEM FEEDBACK

generally the nearer the poles the cooler
    BUT not always

the tilt of the planet plays a HUGE role
    the earth is a rather mild tilt of about 23 degrees

if this was say 45 Degrees
    summers in the poles will be VERY HOT

the entire summer hemisphere will be HOT

and the winter hemisphere will be COLD
    -- OR NOT!!!!

if the water currents move a lot of heat around
    you might have a rather mild winter in one hemisphere
    -- think of England

it SHOULD be covered with SNOW like Michigan and New York
    but it is NOT

the ocean current feedback keeps them warm just like Anchorage Alaska

also you have wind patterns

here in the north of the USA the "jet stream" dips
    and dips BIG TIME

but just look at a map
    it moves back to the north as it approaches the east coast

system feedback as rather complex
    it is so complex that the weather models often get some things a bit WRONG
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Er, I don't understand what you mean by system feedback.

The point of using he influences I mentioned earlier is to take these differences (between Europe and the North American East coast for example)
    into consideration. Different areas will be categorized into different influences according to certain criteria, resulting in different temperatures for the same latitude (in some cases).

The point about "pure observations", Azelor, is that we don't have them for any other planet, namely and specially, for staggering obvious reasons , for an imaginary one.

So, at the very least, you should add an indication about where one can find the 28şC, 22şC, 18ş, 10ş, etc.. isotherms on Earth. (In terms of latitude, that is)

Like groovey, I'm volunteering "my world" for a testdrive of this method, once it's a bit more fleshed out.

Yep, we only have Earth as a reference. Meaning that there is no way to verify if one rule is a general one or a specific one. But we got several different continents. We can see weather a phenomenon occur everywhere on just on one of them and try to understand why. One thing I could do is too look into paleoclimatology but I fear I might have a hard time finding good data since I already had to search a lot to find quality data for our own era. I'm not saying the information is not reliable but it's much more limited.

Still, we got the problem of having pretty rigid rules. Which , in theory, work great for an almost 100% Earth-Like planet but what if :
    The land placement is really different? (Blocking the oceanic circulation) more land or more water % ...

A different axial tilt (more extreme temperature variation but one would just have to move the important features according to solar radiation, I guess)

Different gravity (might have an impact on the raincycle?)

Thicker/thinner atmosphere (I remember reading that Earth had only 1 air cell, from the equator to the poles, during the Mesozoic. Resulting in a much more temperated planet overall)

Different speed of rotation (Mentioned in Geoff cookbook, faster=more air cells, slower=less air cells. It would impact the winds and thus on the surface currents)

Hotter or colder average temperatures (the obvious consequences would be more low pressure areas if it's hot and more high pressure areas when it's cold but it's only relevant to mention if the differences are greater compared to Earth. Otherwise, it doesn't have any direct impacts)

The model is not general enough to cover all this. It might give some insight but one would need a lot of guesses. We could try to give some answers to the most common changes encountered in fictional world tough.

For fun, I tried to make sense of the climate in A song of ice and fire. I really like the series but I got to admit that it makes no sense from a climatic point of view (I know about the irregular seasons but there is an explanation for that at least). For example, trees grow far beyond the Wall in the north. A wall of ice cold enough not to melt overtime, yet large forest of tree can grow beyond that. The the other thing is the difference of climate between Dorne and the Stormlands. Which is roughly the same as the differences between Morocco and Ireland but they are next to each other with no transition zone.

I will try to provide more information on the isotherms once I sort things out.

Edit: sorry for the confusion, I deleted that part earlier because isotherms are in step 5. It's not clear, I might make a graphic to help visualize the transition.

General temperature placement: should be at 10ş N during the northern summer and 10ş S during the northern winter.
    it seems to work fairly well if the oceanic currents and major winds are done correctly.

*areas between the tropics are not always mentioned
    *extreme temperatures are not included

Winter temperature placement: the numbers between the color names indicate the boundary between the two.

Hot current: 20 orange 30 peach 40 yellow 65-70 green
    Mild current: peach 35 yellow 55 green 65-70 yellow
    Cold current: dark orange 5 orange 10 peach 35 yellow 55 green
    Normal: dark orange 20 orange 25 peach 35 yellow 55 green ...
    Con: peach 30 yellow 40 green 45 turquoise
    Con+: dark orange 15 orange 20 peach 25 yellow 35 green 40-45 turquoise 50-55

Summer temperature placement: red are only guidelines

Hot current: Is considered normal
    Mild current: Red 25 dark orange 35 orange 40 peach 60? yellow
    Cold current: dark orange 20 orange 35 peach 55 yellow
    Normal: Red 30 dark orange 40-45 (med) orange 45-47 peach 65-70 yellow 70? green
    Con: Red 35 dark orange 45 orange 55 peach 0=
    Con+: Red 45 dark orange 50 orange 60 peach 70 yellow
    Last edited by Azélor; 10-28-2015 at 12:42 AM.

So, I edited this post http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...l=1#post280821

I improved the influence maps and improved their descriptions. I still need to add more precisions on how to place the continental influences but there are already some guidelines.
    Can anyone tell me if it's easy to follow?

Also, about Western Australia, should it be considered a cold current? My logic tells me that it should, but not the temperature maps.

From what I understand, you are advocating a more refined mapping of influences, and then use them to adjust a general temperature rule based on latitude. Pretty much the same system as before, is this right?

As for Western Australia, I looked it up - and here's what I found: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeuwin_Current
    I would say this return current is formed only in Australia because the continent doesn't block the incoming equatorial current from the Pacific, which, on top of it all, is pushed southwards by Indonesia/Borneo. West Australia is the only continental west coast without a cold current with upwelling and it is the only neighbouring a east-west through.

My logic and limited oceanography knowledge wouldn't let me predict this either, but it really makes sense (and I shall be updating my currents map accordingly )

Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast