Thread: The Köppen–Geiger climate classification made simpler (I hope so)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Egypt was another breadbasket, but Northern Algeria (to an extent) and especially Tunisia were also very productive (the former Carthaginian heartlands).

Anyway looking at the climate maps, I think the temperatures are probably fine now. Af climate looks overall a bit too widespread compared to Earth. That, and deserts are overall too widespread compared to the steppes. Also, you're right that southwestern Eocidar could be maybe a bit drier at places, though I think your version is a bit exaggerated since it's essentially nothing but desert (and the occasional tundra) almost all the way to the Equator. Also, the southeastern continent (Anapar) is too dry in both our maps, the deserts there should be largely confined to the interior since most of the continent isn't really in desert latitudes. I think the peninsula of Akanrias (the large southern peninsula in southern Eocidar) should be "somewhere in the middle", it's too dry in my version and too wet in yours. There also seems to be a few weird high-latitude steppes in my version that should really be D climates (guess I need to increase precipitation there further).

That said, I'm pretty satisfied how most of the map turned out. I think it will maybe take one round of further fine-tuning the precipitations and then the climate map should be "good enough" that it can be finished with some manual adjustments here and there. Btw, do you think Dc is a bit too narrow strip between the tundra and Db climates? It seems slightly thicker on Earth, although maybe it's just the differences in latitude.

By the reference to Western Africa I mean the area in general, there's a lot more BSh, Cwa and Aw than there are BWh, Am or Af. Although in my case the interior of the "supercontinent" will be inevitably largely desert, I think the intermediate steppe climates still cover way too little area compared to similarly dry areas on Earth.

In any case, my thanks for running the script, it spares me a lot of work not having to do all that manually!

EDIT:
    I also think that the interior of the northernmost non-polar continent (called Neraduhr) should probably be "winter dry" because of the presence of vast glaciers to the north. It looks like some Dwb turned up in my map, which is good, but I still need to adjust the precipitations so the Dc climates in the interior are Dwc rather than Dfc. Do you think I'm right about this, or should it just be Df climate?

EDIT2:
    Actually, I guess I do need the touch the temperature maps somewhat, since Cfc covers rather large areas in the northern half of the map (when they should be either Dfb or Cfb). Another question, do you think the island chain south of Neraduhr (the northernmost non-polar continent) should be Cfc, as it is now?

EDIT3:
    Ok, here are the updated versions. I made the winters slightly colder in general (especially in the north, where I feel the Arctic glaciers would lead to more extreme winters), to make continental climates a bit more widespread. In places, I also ramped up the summer temperature a tier in order to eliminate Cfc climates (although I left some islands and mountains as Cfc).

In terms of precipitation, in general I tried to make steppe climates more widespread, and also to make the tropics less of "rainforest or desert". Southwestern Eocidar should be a bit drier now, with the desert more widespread, while the large equatorial area on the eastern side of the supercontinent (called Magatel) should have more BS and Aw (I hope). But we'll see how the results turn out. I think this will be the last "run of the script" unless there are some glaring problems, and the climate map can be finished with manual adjustments from here on out. The relevant maps are in the attachments.

Once again, many thanks for running the scipts for me (as well as otherwise spending a lot of time on improving my world)!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aduhr jan precipitations.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	596.8 KB 
ID:	79672   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aduhr jan temp.png 
Size:	461.5 KB 
ID:	79667   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aduhr jul temp.png 
Size:	468.9 KB 
ID:	79668   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aduhr jul precipitations.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	569.2 KB 
ID:	79673  
    Last edited by Charerg; 01-30-2016 at 08:21 AM.