Thread: Editing a world map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Artisan

MY GOD !
    It worked I don't know how to thank you ! The key was in the mask creation step and I couldn't have found it by myself
    I had to skip the first steps because my map is full of colors and symbols and I have only Paint so that I didn't know how to make this black and white map you started with.
    An option would have to be to paint white by hand everything inside the coast line but that would take hours.
    So I just loaded the PNG as is at the mask step and the coastline appeared Not very visible, just full of white pixels blinking but the pixels were on the right places so that I see exactly where the coast is.

Now the last problem which has indeed to do with resolution.
    My PNG is 1960x1680 pixels.
    But as I said above, the PNG covers a window on the planet of about lat (-50,50) and long (-60,60). This was because I didn't want to create more which was all ocean anyway.
    Yet when I create the mask, it takes the PNG and spreads it over the whole planet, e.g lat (-90,90) and long (-180,180) what distorts especially the horizontal dimensions.
    Is there a way that when I load the mask, the PNG is "read" only on part of the planet e. g lat (-50,50) and long (-60,60) ?
    Alternatively if it is spread on the whole planet a way to deform it in such a way that it enters the specified window (e.g doing a vertical and horizontal homothety) ?

Again a million of thanks. When I finish, I will try to post the preliminary result here. I discovered a fun and interesting activity which I didn't even suspect 3 days ago.
    Perhaps I'll even try to return later to Wilbur where I am definitely unable to do anything and don't understand what any single button is supposed to do.
    Just anecdotically - I studied QFT (Quantum Field Theory) so am quite familiar with complex and difficult concepts and learn relatively fast.
    However the feeling I have staring at the Wilbur UI, is MUCH worse than if I made a high school student read a paper on Quantum Chromodynamics.
    I simply don't understand a word in Wilbur's UI and can't even remotely guess what clicking on any symbol should do (it mostly does nothing) and that is very frustrating.
    Last edited by Deadshade; 09-27-2014 at 05:59 AM.